Josh
Josh, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Expert for over 10 years
50836188

Locked by Customer Service

Customer Question

Earlier this month, I bougtht Microsoft Office for MAC and set up my email accounts on Outlook. It sometimes works - but most times it does not. I drives m crazy with constant error messages. Most common on is:
" Mail could not be received at this time. The server for this account returned the error "Autentication failed". Your user name/passwerd or security settings may be incorrect. Would you like to try to re-enter your password?"
I have re-entered my password XXXXX million times, but this error message keeps coming back.
What is strange, the accounts occasionally works! I receive/send emails for a short time and then it stops working again and the error message comes back...
Also worth mentioning, my email works perfectly on my website server and on my iPhone, so I am definitely entering correct details when I try to set it up... The only place where my emails do not work is OUTLOOK! PLEASE HELP!
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Hi! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

Who is the email provider? It is possible that even one setting is wrong which is causing the issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

One sec

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Okay
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The email is my own company email @xxxxxxxxx.xx.xx

Is that what you are asking?

Host is iPage.

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Do you have the account setup as POP or IMAP?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Imap

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Let's double check to make sure your settings are correct..

What do you have for the Incoming and Outgoing server names along with the port number?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK

incoming:

imap.ipage.com port 143

outgoing:

smtp.ipage.com port 587

Password XXXXX XXXXX same one I use on my iPhone, where it works.

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
The port values are wrong.

The incoming port should be 993

The outgoing port should be 465

And SSL should be enabled for incoming. Please change the settings and try using the account again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I tried that - it still doesn't work

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Same error message?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes.

But also:

- why would the details that work on my iPhone and on my desktop computer (on Entourage) be different from the Outlook on my laptop?

Also - now it wont refresh (send and receive) although I'm online

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Make sure for Outgoing that the box for requires authentication is marked as well
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes it is.

One more thing:

I have 15 different email accounts (all on @whitebutton.co.uk) - I have tried deleting one and adding it again now. Funny thing is - the account appears in Tools>Account list, but has disappeared from the list of accounts in the window where I should receive mail

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.

Click here: https://secure.ipage.com/secure/login.bml?err=

Sign into your account

Click on Setup next to the email address that you want to setup and check the information that is displayed for Outlook and make sure it is what you have already. They may have changed the information.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've logged on

but where is that infer and what am I looking for?

info*

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
There should be a Setup link next to the mailbox after logging in and it will show you the Outlook Setup information.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ports are the ones i've used earlier before trying the ones you gave me
imap 143, smtp 587

they work on my iPhone and desktop - so they must be correct?

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
If those are the ones that are displaying in your account then yes. Their company shows different ones on their website which is strange.

The only thing that I can recommend is contacting iPage and see if they are having issues with Outlook because the settings are correct. Here is their number: 877-472-4399

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

They work everywhere else - on my iPhone and desktop.

Also - they sometimes work on outlook too - the problem is NOT with the ports.

I am receiving and sending emails from my iPhone as we speak - using the same ports - so no point calling image.

Can you suggest anything else?

U there?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Are you there Josh ???!!!

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Sanya,

If they are working on other devices/programs and not Outlook then there is a problem. Please contact iPage and see if other users are having the same issue. They may have a quick work around for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Josh,

I need you to refund the money I paid for this

Hallo???

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Sanya,

Please understand that I am not credited with helping you if you refund the money. If you are okay with not giving me credit for helping you, please click here: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

But you didn't help me

and now you are ignoring me!

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
I have responded back within 5 minutes of each of your posts over the past hour so I am not sure what you mean by 'ignoring you'
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Josh,

we've wasted a lot of time - your answers have not been good.

I told you several times that these ports work everywhere else

and you still kept going on about ports - because you did not know

how to fix it.

I am left with the exact problem as when we started and you are

just passing me on to someone else, and have lost interest the

minute I mention refund. Do you really think that I should pay for this????

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Sanya,

Here is what you wanted: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund