Viet -MS Office Tech
Viet -MS Office Tech, Other
Experience:  Ten years of computer hardware and software support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac; Microsoft Office, etc.
30037186

I am a victim of the ammyy scam, gave them access to our PC

I am a victim of the ammyy scam, gave them access to our PC no don't know how to remove it. Have disconnected wi fi and unplugged internet, frightened to use it. Can you guide me through removal process please? bob Graham
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Viet -MS Office Tech replied 3 years ago.

Hello Robert! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. It is a one-time access session, so once you shut down the computer, it is gone. Please try the following to reverse the changes, and confirm:

1. Click Start->all programs->accessories->system tools->system restore and restore the computer to any date before this issue has occurred, then wait until it finishes/restarts.

2. Go to the website below to download and install the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware program:
http://downloads.malwarebytes.org/mbam-download.php
, then scan your computer using the Quick Scan option, then restart the computer normally, and check.
(Note: Do not buy anything or try the Pro version; just use its free feature. Also, note that the program name isXXXXX)

3. Change your important account passwords, such as email password, facebook password, online banking password, etc.

4. Click on Start, then Run... (or Start, All programs, Accessories, Run...), then type msconfig then click OK

, then click on the Startup tab, and see if there is any ammyy item or suspicious item

, then click on the Services tab, then click on the box at "Hide All Microsoft services" at the bottom, then see if there is any ammyy item or suspicious item

5. If you had given them your credit card number, then call your credit card company and request them to block/reverse the charge from ammyy or any suspicious company.

6. Also, here is more information from Microsoft about phone scams (or similar scams):
http://www.microsoft.com/security/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspx

Please click on the Reply to Expert tab below, and reply back to me, so I can help further if there is still any issue. Thank you,