Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

Hi I have transferred a lot of video from my pc to an external

Hi I have transferred a lot of video from my pc to an external hard drive.Some of the videos have a mpg extension which I can run but others have transferred as a file which I cannot open.I get a message saying I have to set up an association in the folders option file, this I have found but I am stuck as to how proceed further.My knowledge on pcs is limited I would appreciate help on navigation etc on how to proceed.

Thanks Len.
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you tell me the extension of the files that will not run when you try to run them please Len?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Richard it just has the title, then underneath "File" then underneath that the size of the file.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
How big is the file Len?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Biggest one is 11,117,120 kb, others average 200,000 kb+

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, if it just has file as its type, it means it is missing its extension Len

put a .avi at the end and try to play it. If it fails, try .mpg

Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes that works , thanks very much Richard.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Your most welcome Len.

It just lost its file extension

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.