Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

Hi, Every time I open an excel spreadsheet, the document

Every time I open an excel spreadsheet, the document recovery pane opens along side, even though the spreadsheet has been saved before. how do I stop this pane opening every time?

thanks
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

In excel, go to File, Options, Save, and check check disable autorecover

Also uncheck Sace AutoRecover and Keep the last autosaved version

Click OK, close Excel and open it and it should now not display

If you have any problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok that seems to work with an individual spreadsheet, but the document recovery pane still appears on every other existing spreadsheet I open, as well as new ones. Also, does this 'solution' mean that my spreadsheets are no longer autosaving? could that cause a problem in future.

also on some of the spreadsheets now, as well as the doc rec pane being there I am getting a message 'file data error', if I click on ok that goes away and the spreadsheet opens but presumably there could be data errors.

this is a newly installed version of office 2010, all the excel spreadsheets are from office 2004

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Yes, it has to be done on a Sheet by Sheet basis Justin, and it will disable the auto saving, but to be honest, it still never works correctly and 80% of the time it wont save what you need.

You are always best to routinely press CTRL+S to do a real save.

This can be caused by data errors on the computer, or the files became corrupted. Especially if its from Excel 2004.

I would advise you do the following to make sure the computer is ok.

Download CC Cleaner (free) from here

CC Cleaner

(Click Download Latest Version on the top right)

Run it and let it scan and repair your registry.

Once done, restart the computer

Than

Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

This will remove any issues on the computer in regards XXXXX XXXXX so if you still have the issue, you know it is the files that are the problem, and your best to copy and paste these into new files.

If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok I can do the cc cleaner at some point

unfortunately, the doc rec pane is coming back up on the spreadsheets I have already carried out your initial procedure on, so that hasn't worked:-(

also it always comes up on new spreadsheets

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, do a repair of Excel.

Close all programs, click Start, Control Panel, Programs, Uninstall a Program.

Click on office, click Change, then click Repair

Once done, restart the computer and tell me if you still have the problem please Justin.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

has made no difference

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Upload me one of the files with the problem Justin,

- Click the following link: http://www.wikisend.com
- Upload the file to that website
- Once it is uploaded, the resulting page will display a "File ID" number.
- Please, give me that "File ID Number"

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

file id - 965046

I appreciate your persistence in trying to solve this irritating issue

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Your welcome

Its the files James that are the issue, they have corruption within them, likely brought over from Excel 2004.

Copy and paste the file you gave me into a brand new workbook.

save this and then open it and tell me if you get the recovery console opening please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry Richard, how do I go about pasting into a brand new workbook?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Click in the very top right between A and row 1 so everything is selected.

Then press CTRL+C

Then open an new workbook, click in the same place and press CTRL+V to paste it.

Save this new workbook, close excel, open the new workbook and tell me if you still have the problem.

And please do not be sorry for asking questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok that seems to have got rid of the 'file data error' message, but 1 - the doc rec pane still there (its actually in any brand new workbook I open to start with) and 2 - if this does end up to be a solution, that copy and paste has only copied one sheet, the workbook in question has several, I did have all sheets highlighted when I copied

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
You will need to do it for each sheet Justin, to remove the corruption.

It can be your user account that is causing this problem.

Close all programs,

Click Start, control Panel, User Accounts.

Make a new user account and save this.

Then restart the computer, log in with this new user account and tell me if when opening a new Workbook, the recovery pane still shows please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so control panel, then user accounts, then -

manage another account?

then -

create new account?

then is it to be a 'standard' one or 'administrator' one? (my existing one is administrator)

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Create New Account, and it is Administrator

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

logged in with the new user account, opened a workbook and NO document recovery pane was present

however (and I guess you know this) under that new account I had none of my usual stuff on the desktop, it looked like IE needed setting up again along with some, if not all the programs

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
I understand, but all the programs will work.

But it is your user account that is corrupted Justin, you are going to have to use this new account, as you cannot repair the other account.

The desktop you will need to copy your files to again, but your programs will still run.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX leave it there for now.

how do I get back to you directly if I need further assistance?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
You can always return to this page and post a message Justin, they come directly to me.

This is no problem, and no time limit on it.

If you need anything else, please let me know

And please remember the service rating by clicking one of the faces below.

Richard, Software Engineer
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues