KamilAnwar1
KamilAnwar1, Office Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

I bought a Toshiba laptop computer with Office 2010 pre installed

I bought a Toshiba laptop computer with Office 2010 pre installed for 1 month. I bought Office Home & Student with 3 installs towards the end of last year and successfully installed it on my desktop. However it won't install on my laptop after several attempts, saying the product key is invalid. Telephone installation told me the activation key was invalid. What do I do now? I believe all the products I have bought are genuine.
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  KamilAnwar1 replied 3 years ago.

KamilAnwar1 :

Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Kamil and i will do my best to assist you.

KamilAnwar1 :

How many computers have been activated using the Office Home & Business installation and key?

Customer:

I have succeeded with one. It didn't install on my laptop or on my daughter's either.

KamilAnwar1 :

Which version of Office Home & Student was it that you bought last year?

Customer:

2010

KamilAnwar1 :

Are you trying to activate the license key from office you purchased on the office that was already installed on this latpop?

KamilAnwar1 :

Please go to Control Panel -> Programs & Features -> Uninstall a Program

KamilAnwar1 :

Then uninstall all office suites from this laptop.

KamilAnwar1 :

Then from the CD / Disc you have, reinstall the office and activate that one.

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX do I do if it still won't install? I don't have much confidence as it has also not installed on my daughter's computer.

KamilAnwar1 :

We'll try and find what the problem is after this step. The thing that we need to ensure is that we remove all previous office copies installed (pre-installed), as they may be different versions then the one we bought.

KamilAnwar1 :

So after completely uninstalling them, we need to try and reinstall from the disc we purchased and then activate it.

KamilAnwar1 :

If it doesn't work, then we'll get in touch with Microsoft.

Customer:

How can I find you again after I've tried, if it doesn't work?

KamilAnwar1 :

You will need to login to www.justanswer.co.uk and click on the question you asked to get back to me.

Customer:

OK. Over and out for the moment. I'll be back if there continues to be a problem. Thanks

KamilAnwar1 :

You're Welcome. I'll await your response.

Customer:

Hi Kamil. I did as you said. The software appeared to reinstall OK but when I tried to use it the "Activation Wizard" appeared and told me: "The product cannot be activated because the product key is not valid". I've been here before. What do I do now? Andrew

KamilAnwar1 :

Are you entering the same key with which you activated it on the other computer and did you try activating it over the phone?

Customer:

Yes and yes

KamilAnwar1 :

Did you install the office from the disc?

Customer:

Yes

KamilAnwar1 :

Where did you buy this from?

Customer:

Amazon. Any good I send you the product key - are you able to check it out?

KamilAnwar1 :

Don't send it to me here, because i can't check it and it will be visible to all.

Customer:

What next then?

KamilAnwar1 :

Do you have a third computer where office was never installed?

Customer:

Yes, but it is a 9-year old computer, slow, with problems of its own (that's why we bought a new one). Also have an ancient laptop (in a bag like a small suitcase) with even more problems, which is why we bought a new laptop. Both have some office 2003 software and I didn't intend using one of our 3 installs to install it on one of the old computers.

KamilAnwar1 :

Can you tell me where does it says 3 installs?

KamilAnwar1 :

And what was the part number of this order?

Customer:

I think you may be on to something here. Nothing to say it is 3 installs, although at the time I believed that was what I was buying. Could explain everything.

KamilAnwar1 :

I can check with the part number, there should be on the back of the disc

KamilAnwar1 :

Can you find that out for me?

Customer:

does "X16-11455-01 mean anything?

KamilAnwar1 :

Any other part number?

Customer:

What about: "ASP5229"?

KamilAnwar1 :

Any other number?

KamilAnwar1 :

SKU number?

Customer:

On the box, "X6-226-FPP". On the disc "X16-11455-01". On the underside of the disc: "ASP5229". Don't know what an SKU number is. Can't see one.

KamilAnwar1 :

Can you login to your Amazon account and see if you can open the link of the product?

KamilAnwar1 :

So i can open it here and check

KamilAnwar1 :

This should be available from your orders history.

Customer:

Order Placed: 4 Oct 2013
Amazon.co.uk order number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN3059533Printable Order Summary | No invoice available Why?
Full Size Image
Order Total: £99.00

Full Size Image
Delivery #1: Ordered from JB.DE-UK [IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT]Problem with this order?[/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]
Full Size Image

Dispatch estimate: 7 Oct 2013 - 8 Oct 2013
Full Size Image
Delivery estimate: 10 Oct 2013 - 14 Oct 2013
1 package via Royal Mail

For information about this order, please contact JB.DE-UK.
Learn more about JB.DE-UK's return and replacement policy.

Delivery Address:

• Andrew Craig

• 25 Egerton Road

• Hartlepool, TS26 0BW

• United Kingdom

Delivery Option:
Standard Delivery

Items OrderedPrice
1 of: Microsoft Office 2010 Home & Student[DVD-ROM]
Condition: New
Sold by: JB.DE-UK (seller profile)
£99.00

Item(s) Subtotal:£99.00
Postage & Packing:£0.00
-----
Total:£99.00
-----
Total for this Delivery:£99.00
-----

KamilAnwar1 :

Checking.

KamilAnwar1 :

I suspect the software is not genuine, for three reasons:

1. Seller is not active.
2. Review says, product came in envelope.
3. It does not say that it is for 3 users. From what i can see, the 3 user version is around £150.00

KamilAnwar1 :

The best option is to raise a claim with Amazon and have them issue full refund for this.

Customer:

Thanks for your help. What do you recommend as the best and lowest cost method of getting this software to install on 1 or 2 computers?

KamilAnwar1 :

The best option is to get Office 365.

KamilAnwar1 :

£7.99 per month. It gives the peace of mind, and you will be getting it directly from Microsoft.

Customer:

What is the difference between Office 365 and Office 2010 (that I like and am used to) and Office 2013 (that I don't like to much and am not used to)?

KamilAnwar1 :

Put simply, the difference between the two different versions of the office suite is that one is owned outright while the other is rented. This is the arrival of software as a service that Microsoft has been building up to for so many years.

KamilAnwar1 :

While there are many similarities between the 2013 and 365 strands of the Office family, it is Office 2013 that should be regarded as the natural successor to Office 2010.

KamilAnwar1 :

So if you like Office 2010 then you should be going for Office 2013.

Customer:

Thanks. Over and out.

KamilAnwar1 :

Sorry about this issue. Hope you'll be okay this time and Amazon will refund.

KamilAnwar1 :

And, if you can take a second to rate my service that will be appreciated.