Erik B.
Erik B., Consultant
Experience:  Well versed in several editions of Microsoft Office.
18224842

i cant logon to my windows7 toshiba laptop, everytime i enter

i cant logon to my windows7 toshiba laptop, everytime i enter my password XXXXX press enter it comes up with 'the user profile service service failed the login. user profile cannot be loaded'
i have just rung the windows7 helpline and they are saying it might be a virus and will cost me 60pounds one off cost to have them redirect me and be able to successfully login.
i cannot afford this, please help
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Erik B. replied 3 years ago.
Hi and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

This is an all too common error in Windows 7 and Vista. Lots of times we can fix this by using the Last Known Good Configuration. Here is what I want you to do:

1. Turn the Toshiba off.
  2. Turn it back on and as soon as the Toshiba sign disappears start pressing the F8 key very rapidly.
  3. If done correctly you will see the Safe Mode menu.
  4. Highlight the Last Known Good Configuration and press the Enter key.
  5. When the computer boots up you will hopefully be able to login.

If that doesn't work let me know. There are several other things we can try. Thanks!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can you tell me why it has done this and how i can prevent it from happening?

Is it a virus?

It seems to be doing something.. telling me to unplug my ipod and restart.. fingers crossed

Expert:  Erik B. replied 3 years ago.
It's not usually a virus or malware. What happens is that Windows tries to load your user profile and it has trouble. When it has trouble it tries to make a backup copy and then reload it, however it seems like 50% of the time it messes this process up and results in that error. There's not much you can do to prevent it as it is usually pretty random.

I would advise running a malware scan on the computer once it comes up just to make sure you are okay. I like using MBAM Antimalwarebytes:

1. If you can get on the Internet from your computer, please download MBAM AntimalwareBytes from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/anti-virus/malwarebytes-anti-malware

2. Go thru the short installation wizard, accepting all the defaults.

3. At the end of the installation, make sure both checkboxes (one for updating and one for starting the program) are checked, but CLEAR the box for the Pro Trial.

4. The program will update and then start.

5. Choose Quick Scan and then click the Scan Now button.

6. The scan will take several minutes to complete.

7. When it is complete, click the Show Results button.

8. Make sure everything in the list is checked (it should be checked by default) and then click Fix Selected.

9. The threats will be removed from your computer.

10. Close the log file and reboot your computer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i have done the steps you initially showed and it is still coming up with the same message upon login

Expert:  Erik B. replied 3 years ago.
Okay let's try a System Restore this time. The steps are similar. Please do this:

1. Turn the computer off.
  2. Turn it back on and when the vendor logo screen disappears start tapping F8 to access the Safe Mode menu again.
  3. You should see an option on the menu for Repair my computer. Please highlight that option and press the Enter key.
  4. The Windows setup files should load; this can take a few minutes.
  5. Choose your language when prompted and click Next.
  6. Enter your username and password XXXXX prompted.
  7. After the setup loads you should see a window with options to repair your computer. Click on the System Restore option.
  8. The System Restore wizard will open. Choose a restore point from before this issue started happening and see if the restore will complete.

Let me know if that doesn't work. Thanks!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thankyou this has been a great help i only hope it doesnt happen again. is it likely to happen again? do i need to contact windows or something if it keeps happening? will the steps you have given always work for it an do they work in conjunction with other problems on my computer?

Expert:  Erik B. replied 3 years ago.
The steps I provided will always work, but I doubt you will see the error again anytime soon. I don't usually see it on a computer a second time ever. If it happens repeatedly then you definitely have something going on with that computer, but again I doubt that is the case. This is usually just a glitch. Thanks again!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Eric you have been a great help!