Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

Where does Microsoft Live Mail store the emails. I have just

Where does Microsoft Live Mail store the emails. I have just run a registry software package and it seems to have corrupted the address of my emails. I had previously done a back up but don't know where to look to get the old email files back and where to move them to? Can you help ?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

The locations are

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts

Replacing Username with your name.

Do not restore the Calendar Folder, as this will corrupted your profile.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This has only answered the first part of the question. Which particular part of a back up would contain the emails?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail contains your emails David.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When I back my data it says it backs up my emails. I have a back file of 30 +Gb and I want to know which part contains the un-corrupted emails which I want to then return to Windows Live Mail

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok David, I just told you where the emails are, as I initially told you.

I am not understanding your responses sorry.

You need to back up

Thats where your emails are.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yesterday I backed up my files which included all my emails. Then I ran the Registry Cleaning software which then corrupted my emails. Today Windows Live Mail has downloaded all 4000+ received emails but not my sent emails. I want to get back my sent emails?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
David ,

What more do you want to know from me?

then location that windows live stores its emails is

You keep saying I am not answering your question, but what is it then?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

"I had previously done a back up but don't know where to look to get the old email files back " this is the part of my original email that has not been answered

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
In your backup it is under

What has not been answered (5 times now)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did the back all files including my emails on an H Drive. So looking on the C Drive does not seem to make much sense. The idea of a back up is to put files somewhere safe where damage or change to the C drive will not affect them. On the H drive which has the back up files there are a lot of files but nothing that identifies them as emails

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
It will then be

H:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail

Look on the backup for the folder WINDOWS LIVE MAIL

It is where the emails are stored.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I wish it was that simple. My back up file has a long series of wim files and a back up manager. I have never used this before.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
What backup program do you use?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think it Microsoft. When the computer crashes it is one of the options available before it tries the various repair options

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
You can right click on the backup file and select Open.

Then look for the windows Live Mail folder David.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That just presents 160 wim files and at the bottom is an application called "RecoveryMgr".

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, run the application please.

Are you then able to explore your files?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Its actually an HP program and it is currently restoring all the emails. This may take some time. I'll let it finish and then advise you what has happened.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Ok, I was confused as you indicated the windows backup, but it would have been the HP backup that tool over.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I now have the system recovery files in a folder structure that is the same as the Windows Live Mail. What is the best way of transferring - copy and paste or can I just - drag and drop in the empty folders?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
the best is to right click the file or folder and select Copy, then go to where you want to place them and select Paste.

This is the best method.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The copy and paste was completed on the sent items and in the folders everything looks fine but when I go in to Windows Live Mail itself it still says the folder is still empty. I tried closing Windows Live Mail and re-opening and its just the same. The only emails I can currently see are what was downloaded this morning when I first opened up WLM.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Where exactly did you copy it to?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Computer OS(C):/Users/David/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows Live/Sky (david.a12/Sent Items

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, thats not the correct location David.

It is to

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Computer OS(C):\Users\David\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\Sky (david.a12\Sent Items

A correction when I open the folder Windows Live Mail there are another two sub folders

My username is David

I have 3 email accounts Sky Hotmail and Virgin

I've just found another Sky folder which I will copy the sent mails to.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX to make sure you copy it to the correct one.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Its now definitely in the right sub folder but the online version of WLM still does not read it. Its a bit frustrating having found the email data but not to be able to use it normally. I have a feeling there must be something I'm missing or something else that needs to be done. I'm a bit puzzled as to why there should be two Sky Folders

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
There should only be one David.

Replace the entire folder there with the one from the backup, so they look exactly the same please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think the registry software has made a complete mess of my emails. I have just found a storage folder that also has all my old emails. I'm finding this all very confusing and not at all straightforward. I'm just going to see exactly what I have before I try and do anything else.

regards

David

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok David, are you seeing .eml files?

Message files?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can see eml files in the folders but I cannot get the online WLM to actually read the saved files only the eml files that were down loaded again this morning. It was the sent files which did not download which I want to restore and be able to read normally with WLM.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, this is good.

Open Windows Live Mail, and drag the EML files into Windows Live program (the folder you want them in), it will then add them in.

Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes that worked. Success at last. Many thanks for your assistance.

regards

David

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Your most welcome David!

really, Windows Live Mail is not very friendly for this type of work, but once you know how it works (which you now do) then you know how to correctly back it up and restore.

Richard, Software Engineer
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues