Erik B.
Erik B., Consultant
Experience:  Well versed in several editions of Microsoft Office.
18224842

This morning I accepted an automatic update. Since

This morning I accepted an automatic update. Since then Outlook Express will not open. Support at Norton failed to be able to help and gave me your telephone number as 1-XXX XXX XXXX. This has not been recognised. Can you help?

Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Erik B. replied 3 years ago.
Hi and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

Can you give me the error message you get when you try to open Outlook Express? Since you are using Outlook Express I assume you are using Windows XP on that computer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am using windows 7. I do get an error message..Outlook just doesn't open.

Expert:  Erik B. replied 3 years ago.
Ah okay are you using Outlook or Outlook Express? Outlook Express doesn't exist on Windows 7 so I am assuming Outlook. If that is correct please try the following:

1. Click Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore.
  2. Click Next on the first window.
  3. Click the box for Show More Restore Points so that all points are displayed.
  4. Pick a restore point from before the update was applied.
  5. Click Next.
  6. Click Finish and wait for the restore to complete (the system will reboot).

If Outlook still doesn't open (or if the restore fails), please try this and let me know what happens.

1. Reboot the computer.
  2. When the computer comes back up, hold down the Windows key and press the R key. This will open the Run window.
  3. Type or pasted outlook /safe into the Run window and see if Outlook will open.

I will be here if you run into trouble. You can get back to me by going to www.justanswer.co.uk and clicking on My Questions. Thanks!