KamilAnwar1
KamilAnwar1, Office Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

my office was wiped when computer repaired , pc world told

my office was wiped when computer repaired , pc world told me i can reinstall via office.co./setup. pl help
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  KamilAnwar1 replied 3 years ago.

KamilAnwar1 :

Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Kamil and i will do my best to assist you.

KamilAnwar1 :

Can you tell me where did you purchase office from?

Customer:

it was installed when we bought the laptop from pc world

KamilAnwar1 :

The one that is pre-installed doesn't come activated. You must have either bought a CD key oOR activated online.

Customer:

yes think my mother activated this online

KamilAnwar1 :

Great. Do you have access to her email ID and password XXXXX which she activated?

Customer:

i know her email details but not sure which email she used (hers or mine) - how do find this out

KamilAnwar1 :

Please login to https://office.microsoft.com/

KamilAnwar1 :

With your ID first and see if it shows you any office products, if it doesn then logout of it and login from her Id to see if that shows any.

KamilAnwar1 :

Please leave a message when you're back.

Customer:

appologies i have had some problems getting into my account. - there does not appear to be any record of this but the web page says anything before sept 18 2012 will not show > i got my laptop middle Aug 2012 just before this

KamilAnwar1 :

Did you login to office.microsoft.com?

Customer:

yes

KamilAnwar1 :

Did you login with both the IDs (your's and grandmother's) ?

Customer:

fairly sure she will have used my account cos dont think she has a microsoft account will try again

KamilAnwar1 :

Okay. Please try again, after you login to my.office.com tell me what do you see there?

KamilAnwar1 :

When office asks you for the key, select the option to login to office and try to login with your ID and see if it detects the office product.

Customer:

Used her account and mine it saying same on both "account saying office not associated with this account"

KamilAnwar1 :

Then she may have created a new account?

Customer:

No i have spoken to her her and she used my account so if any problems i could sort it

KamilAnwar1 :

And you have tried your account as well right?

KamilAnwar1 :

It says not associated for both the accounts?

Customer:

yeah

KamilAnwar1 :

That means, none of those two accounts are linked with Microsoft. We'll need to find out how it was purchased/activated.

Customer:

it was bought at same time as laptop cos i needed it for uni , mum set it up and there was no problems until sept 13 when laptop keyboard went. it went for repair , they wiped everything and told me to use recovery discs to reload office. cos i didnt have 1st disc i couldnt do it straight away but then tried when i found it. then it said i needed product key, but i dont have this

KamilAnwar1 :

I understand, office is reloaded. The problem is, it is not getting activated because it is not linked to either of the two accounts.

KamilAnwar1 :

Do you know how much you paid for the Office?

Customer:

No -

KamilAnwar1 :

You may have been running the trial version then?

Customer:

no - have used it all year < trials dont last that long

KamilAnwar1 :

I am sorry then, if we do not have the information how it was purchased we cannot get activated without it.

KamilAnwar1 :

If you were using the monthly subscription for Office, then you can resubscribe to it again.

Customer:

my parents bought it at same time as laptop from PC world in August 2012. Dont understand what you mean by information about how it purchased cos they bought it with credit card for me to go to uni with

KamilAnwar1 :

Did they buy office the keycard from PCWorld?

Customer:

all i know is we purchased it and it was installed , and i have been using it for a year before pc world wiped it

KamilAnwar1 :

There are two ways you activate Office:

Either online OR through the key card (which is purchased). If they purchased a keycard then the key that we need is on the keycard, therefore we will need the keycard to see what the key is. If we do not have access to any of those, then the only place that may help with obtaining a new key is Microsoft. There phone number is +44 (0)844(NNN) NNN-NNNNand they will need the proof of purchase. If that doesn't work, then we'll need to get a new key to activate Office. This is not what i wanted to tell you, BUT unfortunately, this is the situation and i'd not put you in any false hope.

KamilAnwar1 :

I did my best to get this resolved for you, but there is nothing we can do without the key.

Customer:

ok - will try to get proof of purchase from PC world.

KamilAnwar1 :

First contact Microsoft and check what they say, if they ask for proof of purchase then get it and send it to them.

Customer:

Yeah - dont hold much hope , students not treated well by big corporations as evidenced by how pc world didnt look after me.

KamilAnwar1, Office Specialist
Experience: 8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.