Freddy M.
Freddy M., IT Technician
Experience:  Years of experience.
15852642

Im having problems because word installed a critical update

I'm having problems because word installed a 'critical update' which meant I couldn't get onto the internet. I rectified the problem using system restore but today when I went to use my computer the 'critical update' had been installed again and I had to system restore before I could get online. this is a real hassle as I don't want to have to system restore every time I use the computer. I have a Fujitsu Lifebook A series laptop. Please help
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Hello my name isXXXXX look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
What version of windows is on your computer?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think it's windows 8 - I bought the laptop last year in July

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
OK if you have windows 8 you will have panels instead of a start menu.
For example if you move the mouse to the lower right corner a panel will open, is that what you have?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Freddy

That's right if I move the mouse to the lower or upper right corner a panel opens with various options

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Ok good then you have windows 8.
In that same right panel click on search.

Then type in update.
Click on windows update in the list.

A new window should open in that window click on the number of updates.
You should now have a list of updates.

Right click on the critical update causing the issue and click on hidden.
Once done it will never try to install the incompatible update again unless unhidden.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've typed in update and found the critical update but there's no option for clicking on hidden - I've only got an option to uninstall - should I choose that?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
If it shows uninstall it means that update is already installed.
Click check for updates on the left and see if any new ones come up.
If they do that is the one you want to right click on and then click hide.
Otherwise yes look for the most recent install critical update and uninstall it.
Then choose check for updates again and hide it once it shows up.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I need to restart the computer before I can check for updates. I have copied and saved all the steps I've taken so far and will do what you have advised. If it doesn't work I will contact you again and if it does work I will leave a rating. But will I have to pay again\?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
As long as you come back to this page to reply to me you should not be charged again. You can get back to me by going to justanswer.co.uk and clicking on my questions at the top.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks I will let you know how I get on.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Ok please do and take all the time you need.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

All the updates were installed and I looked through them and none of them were flagged critical update. I tried accessing the internet which I did successfully so it seems that whatever glitch was in the update has resolved itself. I have copied all your answers to my problem so that if it happens again I'll know how to solve it. Thanks for your help as whatever I did seems to have worked!

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
You're welcome and please don't forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.