Zabo04
Zabo04, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Experienced in Word, Excel, Access, Powerpoint, and Outlook.
58597962

I have recently acquired an HP LaserJet 400 which can print

I have recently acquired an HP LaserJet 400 which can print duplex. With MS word mail merges it now does not pick up the mail merge data but merely prints the mail merge codes. Similarly with graphics it prints the link code and not the picture. This problem does not occur with pdfs.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Zabo04 replied 2 years ago.

Zabo04 :

The display codes have to be turned off before printing. Not sure which version of Word you have, but generically under the Tools menu you should be able to click Options on the Print tab and clear the Field Codes check box.

Zabo04 :

In 2010/2013 click File tab then Options, under Advanced, make sure Show field codes instead of their values is not selected

Customer:

Have found Field Codes check box but it is unchecked. (preferences, view, field codes)

Customer:

The display is fine but it only becomes a problem when I try and print.

Zabo04 :

There should be an option above the one you found that says "Print field codes instead of values" make sure that is not checked as well

Customer:

Sadly not.

Zabo04 :

okay

Zabo04 :

what version of word are you using?

Customer:

Version 14.3.9 MS Word for Mac 2011

Zabo04 :

are you using the Print field code as part of your codes?

Customer:

The bit in brackets says 'merge field' so I guess I am.

Customer:

I got the same problem with ordinary word docs with graphics by the way. The logo comes out as code.

Zabo04 :

you would see {Print}

Zabo04 :

somewhere in there

Customer:

No. Just {mergefield...}.

Customer:

Or in a doc originated elsewhere {include picture "cid:[email protected]}

Customer:

Strange thing is that i now get this on all printers. Not just the new one.

Customer:

Beginning to wonder whether it is another side effect of the Mavericks disaster.

Customer:

Okay. Have to go offline for a while.

Zabo04 :

okay

Zabo04 :

Did you press Alt+F9 to get the {}, if not and you typed in using keystrokes for {}, then the information is not recognized as field codes, just text

Customer:

The {} comes up automatically.

Zabo04 :

You said the print preview shows the values but all printers print the field codes?

Zabo04 :

can you attach the merged document?

Zabo04 :

when you said "sadly not" did you mean the box was not checked or you couldn't find the option?

Customer:

Sorry. Been tied up since Saturday night.

Customer:

Merged document attached.

Full Size Image

Zabo04, Computer Enthusiast
Experience: Experienced in Word, Excel, Access, Powerpoint, and Outlook.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am glad to assist you today.

I noticed that my fellow expert who is helping you with this problem is currently offline. Do you still need help with this problem? I don't see the attached document.

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Expert:  Zabo04 replied 2 years ago.
The link doesn't work once the question has shifted to question and answer out of chat. Please post to wikisend.com and post the link. Then it will be available for download. Thank you.