Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

Can I use Dells Easy Transfer Cable to transfer files from

Can I use Dell's Easy Transfer Cable to transfer files from my old computer with Windows XP Pro OS to my new computer with Windows 8.1 OS?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Yes it can use the cable.

Can you tell me please exactly what happens when you try to play the music and videos in windows media player please?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The following message is now being received when I try to play my music -

'Windows Media Player cannot find the file. If you are trying to play, burn, or sync an item that is in your library, the item might point to a file that has been moved, renamed, or deleted.'

Also I cannot find my videos. They don't appear to have transferred from my external HARD DRIVE

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, something went wrong with the transfer

But there is a much easier way to do this Robert.

Just connect the external hard drive to the old computer and copy and paste your music and films to it. Just like copying and pasting any file in windows.

Once done, connect the hard drive to the new computer and you can copy them from the hard drive to the new computer.

You wont have any issues doing it this way.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Richard,

Sorry for not coming back before now.

With regard to the music your advice helped and I have successfully copied and pasted all my music albums from my old computer to my new one.

With regard to the videos, taken by my Sony NEX camera, stored on my old computer the Sony PMB programme did not recognise the external hard drive when I connected same. However it did recognise the camera when I connected it and I have been able to re-input the videos on to my camera and then download same onto the PMB programme I re-installed onto my computer. The process is somewhat laborious but it works.

Thank you for your help.

Robert Allum

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Your welcome Robert!

It is really just easier to avoid the easy transfer which is generally anything by easy!

If you need anything else, please let me know, and please remember to rate me by clicking one of the smiley faces below.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry Richard I have one further question at this time.

I paid for your advice, which I was happy to do, but the amount I paid was the same as the monthly amount Just Answer advertise they will take on a monthly basis 'after' a free trial of their service.

I do not want to pay for this service monthly as I am happy to pay on an ad hoc, when required basis. Are you able to confirm that I will not be charged further by Just Answer at this time?

I look forward to receiving your response after which I will be more than happy to click one of the smiley faces.

Robert Allum

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Richard,

You have not answered my last question. I will not give a rating until my last question has been answered.

Robert Allum

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Hi Robert,

Sorry, I was not on over the weekend.

If you did not sign up for the Monthly Subscription, then no, you wont be paying for it.

For any further billing questions, please [email protected] as they handle all billing inquiries.

Feel free to let me know please if you need more information.

Richard, Software Engineer
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues