Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

I had my laptop checked out by my ususal IT guy before I returned

I had my laptop checked out by my ususal IT guy before I returned to Iraq
I am getting Windows 7 professional is not a genuine copy (it is). Things like my laptop will not recognise my Iphone, 4S or 5 so I can't even transfer photos.
Out of frustration, I purchased a new Key from MS - followed their instructions, replaced the old key with the new on - guess what, after an hour Windows 7 professional is not a genuine copy.
I am getting really P off
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

When you click start, right click computer and select properties, go to the bottom of the window there and tell me if it says it is activated please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It say activated, but it is the old key, not the new one I put in again, three time now

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, this means it is not genuine Rory, but a program was used to trick it into activation.

Any new keys wont work, as you cannot use them on a illegitimate copy of windows.
But the computer is still functioning apart from the iPhone issue correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, Laptop is fine. So, my IT guy used an illegal copy. I purchased a genuine copy, but windows will not accept it because of the illeagal copy - hence MS sending me a disk as well

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Correct, you cannot use the key on an illegal copy. If MS sent you a disk, use this disk to install windows and the key they gave you will allow you to make it genuine.

Your IT Guy did install an illegal copy, it is the only reason this would happen.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.