Sudipto
Sudipto, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Computer Hardware EngineerCertificate Course In Computer Maintenance,8+ years of Experience in computer troubleshooting
15197395

I have a month old HP Pavilion computer running Windows 8 and

I have a month old HP Pavilion computer running Windows 8 and 2 (not new) printers: a laser Canon LPB 6000 connected with ethernet : an inkjet Kodak ESP 1.2 Wi-Fi connected.

As well as the standard Office programs I also have Publisher 2013.

There are two problems I'd like help with ...

1) Publisher will print to the Kodak inkjet but for the Canon laser the print button is greyed out. The Canon works fine with other programs.

2) When I first got the new computer the Kodak scanned perfectly into OneNote. Quite suddenly it will not do so. It will provide a scanned a preview image but not scan the image into the OneNote page. It then shuts the OneNote. I have tried uninstalling and re installing both as WiFi and Ethernet but to no avail.

Help please
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assiting you today, to solve the problem.

Did you tried to install the latest drivers, after downloading from the Canon site ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I believe it updated when I installed it on the new computer as I clicked 'check for updates' etc

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
The problem seems to be complicated, we can continue like this (chat) or I can do the job for you, for a little additional fee. The fee is completely refundable, if I am unable to solve the problem.

Please let me know, what you want to do ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Please could you tell me how much the additional fee is likely to be ?

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
It will be $30, but remember this fees is completely refundable, I am unable to solve the problem or we can also continue like this also.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks. For the moment I'll continue to chat.

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
OK, no problem. Please let me know, when you open Publisher and click File->Print, do you see the name of the Canon printer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
Do you get any error message, when you select the Canon printer or the print buttons just turns grey ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No error message the mini pic of the canon is in colour and says connecting to printer but the print button above is greyed out.

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
Which one is your default printer, Kodak or Canon ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Canon

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
Have you tried, file -> print setup, reselecting the current printer, ok?
Publisher seems to associate itself with the printer when you first create the publication.
Once you tell the publisher document to associate the new printer with the publication it should work
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Unless I'm being really stupid ! there's no print set up option in the file menu. But I have just tried selecting a different printer and then reselecting the canon but no change

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
The word can vary from version to version, you can also check the page setup.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I feel really silly here but as far as I can see there is nothing in either the file list that would help, I've even tried in Options. In page setup there is nothing relating to printers.

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
Ok, just try to print a simple publication.

1. On the File menu, click New.
  2. In the New Publication task pane, click Blank Print Publication.
  3. In the publication, type your name.
  4. Try to print from Canon and let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no change

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
Did you restarted Publisher, before creating the new publication ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No but I'll try that now

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no change when I restated Publisher. I chose the blank from the new section and tried to print

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
What is the version of Publisher that, you use ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

2013

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
This can be a compatibility issue, do you have tried to uninstall and reinstall the Canon printer ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no. I will but it might take a short time

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
No problem, take your time and please remember to close Publisher, before you do that and if the problem persist then, try to uninstalla reinstall Publisher also. Just reply me back with the result.

Click the "Reply to Expert" tab below and reply me back.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Have uninstalled and reinstalled the Canon. It will print in Word but still not in Publisher. Same greyed out icon at the top.

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
Do you have uninstalled and reinstall Publisher also ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, sorry - forgot. I downloaded original installation from internet. Can I do it again without paying again. If so - how ?

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
Do you have downloaded the whole office package or just publisher ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

just publisher, but I think I can access it again from PC World account where I bought it from. I will try, please can you leave me another reply window

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
Yes, you can re download it again from there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

All reinstalled BUT still the same problem !!!

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
These are the last steps to solve the problem, as I said this problem can only happen due to comatibility issues of Canon driver with publisher, unless Canon released any latest driver in future, you have to use the Kodak printer to print from the publisher or there is a work around that, you can use. Install a PDF printer like Bull Zip and then print through that printer to create a PDF file and then print it from Canon.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for trying. I've already been going through the PDF route but it's annoying. Having paid a huge amount to update my Publisher from 2007 to 2013 I think I'm now going to revert and install the 07 to see if that will work as it did before.

Thanks again. I'll address my other problem with OneNote scanning another day !

Expert:  Sudipto replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX me back, if you need any further information, otherwise please remember to give positive rating, as that is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort.
Sudipto, Computer Enthusiast
Experience: Computer Hardware EngineerCertificate Course In Computer Maintenance,8+ years of Experience in computer troubleshooting