Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

I have received an email telling me someone tried to get access

I have received an email telling me someone tried to get access to my microsoft account but failed. This coincides with my password XXXXX working two weeks ago. How do I know the request to change my password XXXXX XXXXX and not from the attempted hacker?
t
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

When the email was received, did you just attempt to change your password?

Please let me now

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I almost did but stopped before i'd finished typing in my password XXXXX I did not send it

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, but it still registers the process Heather, even if you do not send.

This is why you got the message. It is nothing sinister.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Richard, but what do I do now? How can I get my microsoft account open again and is the old one still secure?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
The old one is still secure, but you cannot log into it at the moment Heather?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Correct, so what do I do now?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, what you need to do is to complete the Recovery form which you can access on my link below.

https://account.live.com/acsr?rollrs=04

It will ask you a series of questions. Fill these in as correct as possible, it is very important.

Once completed, tell me what the form says please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It says I have given enough information and should receive a reply in 24 hours

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Perfect

If it did not deny you, and gave this message, then they will reply within 24 hours with the instructions to regain access to your account.

I have marked this question to never close Heather, so if they do not reply by then, let me know and we then proceed to the next step.