Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

my PC only boots up after several attempts and only haing pressed

Customer Question

my PC only boots up after several attempts and only haing pressed F1 key.I have a refurbished HP dx520 .SMALL FORM FACTOR?and I am using Windows 8 OS.
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard and I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you tell me please what exactly happens when it fails to boot?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it comes up with the message to press F1 or F2 to enter Setup

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Tommy.

It is the hard drive or the Sata port on the mainboard that is failing.

Soon it will stop booting altogether.

I strongly urge you to copy off all your data asap.

If the computer is under warranty, you then are best to return it so that a hardware diagnostics can be performed on the computer and the faulting component repaired.

If it is not under warranty, you still will need to take it into a computer store to have a hardware diagnostics performed on it, and the part replaced. The cost is going to me maximum 250 pounds (worst case that the motherboard needs to be replaced)

But it is one of these components that are faulting, and as I indicated, it will get worse to the point where it will stop booting altogether.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Could it be the order in the Drives or Bootup sequence that's at fault.If not I will buy a new HDD

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
No, as it would try the first device, fail, go to the second, ect until the hard disk is selected.

It would not do this problem.

I would re-consider buying the hard disk now Tommy, and first have a hardware diagnostics done on it first, as it is 50/50 it is the mainboard or the hard drive.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK Richard I will wait till it fails and take into get fixed.Its only a re-furb after all

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Just make sure you have a backup of your data please Tommy.