Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

My word files in "Documents and Music" have suddenly all become

My word files in "Documents and Music" have suddenly all become Music signed, but are opening In Photo-shop. Help XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am glad to assist you today.

So are you saying that these Word files are no longer opening in Microsoft Word? Also, are you using Windows XP, Vista, 7 or 8?

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am using Window 7 64 bit and never come across this problem before.

It has only appeared to happen after I deleted a lot of music files to a D,V.D. and then erased them to the scrap file. They are still there at present. I did not empty the "delete file" just in case

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for writing back. Can you please confirm: Are all Word files not opening in MS Word now? Or only few of them, just the ones in the Documents and Music folder?

Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes just the ones in Documents and Music. in the music file I have a lot of files that are just the lyrics only.........they are now all with a music signature. JIm

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for that confirmation. It is weird that only the Word files from Documents and Musicare changed to a music icon. But this happens only when the file extension of those files are different, like when they are all .DOC and the others are .DOCX.

Please try to do the following steps:
  1. Locate an MS Word file that has now changed to a music icon. Please make sure that it WAS a Word file before it was changed to a Music icon.
  2. Right click on that icon, point to "Open with..." and then click on "Choose default program"
  3. See my screen shot below:

4. In the list of programs, select Microsoft Word there. Make sure that the check box at the bottom that says "Always use this program to open this kind of file" is checked.
  5. Then click OK.
  6. See my screen shot below:

7. Now, if MS Word is not shown in the list, click on the BROWSE button and locate MS Word in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14
  8. If that path is not correct, then you can browse to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14 instead

That should open all Word files in your Document and Music in MS Word.

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated! Cool

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Jess.......By sorting out one file, the whole lot kicked back to word files. Relief is not the word. I am delighted, so many thanks for an excellent service.............Smile. Use left and right arrows to navigate.......XXXXX XXXXX

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Hi Jim,

I am glad to be of help. If you need assistance in the future, you can request me any time by posting a new question starting with "For Jess M" so that I will be notified and I can assist you immediately.

Best regards,
Jess