Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

Up until a few days ago I was able to access my emails from

Up until a few days ago I was able to access my emails from my mobile device (blackberry) as well as accessing them online. Now however I am only able to access them online. when I try accessing them from my mobile the message I receive is that my email address/ password XXXXX XXXXX valid despite me using the same to access my online account. I have a the settings on my phone checked and they are all fine. can you help

kind regards
Andrew
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you tell me if you have turned on 2 Step verification on your Hotmail account please?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not that I am aware of. How would I check this?
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Andrew.

Follow the steps here to turn it on, as then you can check if it is on or not.

Click me to view

Let me know if it is please.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Richard appologises for my late response. The answer about te 2 step verification is no. To date I have only been required to enter my password XXXXX order to access my hotmail account online

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
No problem and thanks Andrew

Can you remove the battery from the blackberry and wait 5 minutes.

Put it back in, turn on and try to now add the hotmail account.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Richard I have done what you requested but the message on screen still reads "invalid email address or password. Verify your email address and password"

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Can you change your Hotmail password XXXXX

https://account.live.com/resetpassword.aspx

Once changed, use this new password XXXXX sign in on the Blackberry.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it is still not malking any difference the same message is appearing on my screen

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Create a new test Hotmail account, and try to sign on with this one.

Does this work?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

still not working even though I have created a new accont online with a different password

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Then there is an issue with the firmware so we will need to reload this.

First, do you have Blackberry Desktop Manager installed on your computer?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes I do

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, connect the Blackberry to the computer, open the Desktop Manager and perform a backup (as the reset will clear all your data).

Then in the Desktop Manager click on the Help button labeled with a question mark, then move the mouse over Support resources, and then click on Support tools

Click Factory Reset and let it run.

Once it has, setup the Blackberry again and add the Hotmail account to the phone.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have done what you said but the same message is appearing on my screen

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Also if you add the new test account Andrew?

And the phone completely wiped and was returned to new again?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have done all that without any success

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Can you enable two step verification on your Hotmail account and tell me if it then allows you to add it please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Eureka! It appears to appears to be working again.

Now that I have enabled 2 step verification what does that mean in terms of me accessing emails from my online account and my blackberry

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Ok, strange they forced this on you.

It means nothing for your emails for accessing Hotmail, it just has a different verification method when logging on (more secure).

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Richard for your help. I will rate your service now.

Andrew

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Your most welcome Andrew

If you ever need anything else, please let me know

Richard, Software Engineer
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues