Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

Can I set up an out of office reply on my windows live mai

Customer Question

Can I set up an out of office reply on my windows live mail
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am glad to assist you today.

Are you using Windows XP, Vista, 7 or 8?

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Windows 7

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Gill,

Thank you for writing back with that information. Have you tried anything to accomplish this? Please give me a moment while I type the procedures for you. I will give you screen shots so that you can follow the steps easily.

Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have searched for relevant info but found nothing

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I seem to be losing contactmy reply is not getting through

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Hill,

I am still here, I am preparing the steps for you to follow.

Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks !

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Gill. Please give me a moment to prepare the steps. I will include screen shots to help you follow them easily.

Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Where do I need to look for my answer?Do I just stay here ?

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Gill,

Thank you for patiently waiting. The process has two phases. First, you need to create a Notepad TXT file containing your out of office reply. Here are the steps:

Creating vacation reply in Notepad:

1. Open Notepad from your computer.

2. Type the message you want to appear in the body of your auto response.

3. Select File | Save from the menu.

4. Type Vacation Auto-Reply under "File name:".

5. Make sure Text Documents (*.txt) is selected under "Save as type:".

6. Click Save.

7. Close Notepad.

After the TXT file is created, please remeber where you saved it because you will need it in the next phase.

Adding the Out of Office Reply in Windows Live Mail

1. Open Windows Live Mail.
  2. Click Folders tab.
  3. Click Message rules. See screen shot:

4. Under "Select one or more conditions:" enable For all messages option by clicking the check box beside it. (You need to scrool down)
  5. Under "Select one or more actions:" enable Reply with message option. (You need to scroll down as well). See the screen shot for steps 4 and 5:

6. Click message beside Reply with under To edit this description, click the underlined word.

7. When the pop up box opened, click the dropdown box beside "File name:" field and select Text (*.txt).
  8. Navigate your folders go to where you've stored the vacation reply you've created in Notepad in the first phase.
  9. Click open (after selecting the file) or double click the file name.
  10. Now, it shall look like this:

11. You can name the rule to any ame for your reference as to what the rule is doing. It is named as New Email Rule #1 by default.
  12. Click Save rule button.
  13. Click OK button to close.

That should make it. Your Windows Live Mail will then email the message to someone who sent you an email as an auto "out of office" reply.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated! Cool

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you,Jess.Can I print off your reply so that I can follow the steps more easily

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Gill,

Yes, you can do so. I created a ready-to-print PDF file for you. You can download it by clicking the link below:

http://wikisend.com/download/402068/for_Gill.pdf

I hope that helped.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have now successfully printed off your advice.Many thanks for your help.As I am an old lady of 85,I need patient guidance such as you have given !Many thanks again,Gill.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
You're always welcome, Gill. I am very glad to be of help to you. If you need further assistance with this, just let me know. If you need assistance in the future, you can request me any time by posting a new question starting with "For Jess M" so that I can assist you immediately.

Best regards,
Jess