Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Office Software Specilaist
Experience:  I am a self-employed computer specialist more than 10 years experience working with Microsoft Office computer software.
76287196

I cant get the laptop my daughters given me to connect to

I can't get the laptop my daughter's given me to connect to the internet (wireless), although it shows our wireless connection as available, and my tablet manages to connect to it. I admit I'm a complete numpty. It says 'connected to Network 3', although I thought I'd disenabled this (it's a public network). The laptop is running Windows 7. Can you help a poor old confused woman, please? When I try to troubleshoot, it suggests restarting the router, which I've done to no avail.
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Joel Kalman replied 3 years ago.

JoelK :

Hello. Thank you for your question. My goal is to provide excellent customer service.

JoelK :

First you need to disconnect from the public network. You can do that by selecting it (left click) and then going to the menu (right click).

JoelK :

Then you can select your private network, check the Connect Automatically box, and (left) click on the Connect button. You will need your encryption passcode or pass phrase. Enter it when prompted to do so. Then wait a few moments, and it should connect.

JoelK :

If my information and advice resolves your problem, please be sure to give me a

JoelK :

good or excellent rating. I will be compensated for my services only when I receive a positive rating.

JoelK :

If you are still having problems after doing as I have advised, please be sure to let me know, and we will try something else.

Customer:

Thanks for your reply, Joel. It helped a little, ( I deleted the unsecured networks that were showing). I'd seen the Wifi manager window, and entered the password, before, but it seemed to appear as if by magic, I'm still not sure what I did to make it appear. But I fiddled around, and at some stage it appeared again, and lo and behold it connected! So I'm now a happy old bunny online wirelessly. On that basis, I'll rate your advice.

Dear Fiona-
It has been a pleasure working with you. If there is anything else I can do to assist you with your smartphone, computer, or printer, please let me know. You can ask for me by name. Thank you for allowing me to be of service.
-Joel