Jason Jones
Jason Jones, Computer Technician
Experience:  Over 10 years work experience.
30759776

I need to create a graph that has two y axes (one for units

I need to create a graph that has two y axes (one for units and one for revenue £000k), with three different categories. I want the units as a stacked bar chart and the revenue shown as lines, unless you think two stacked bar charts works/looks better.

The date is as follows:
FY13/14 FY14/15 FY15/16 FY16/17 FY17/18
Recurring Revenue Contracts 10 26 46 73 124
Capital Sales 2 9 20 39 67
Maintenance 0 9 20 39 67
FY13/14 FY14/15 FY15/16 FY16/17 FY17/18
Recurring Revenue Contracts 145.3 461.5 1175.7 2355.7 4287.4
Capital Sales 157.9 712.5 1583.3 3087.5 5304.2
Maintenance 0.0 18.8 78.5 208.3 419.4

Can you please help I am going mad! I am using 2010.

Paul
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question today. My name is Jason. I look forward to helping you today.

May I ask that you describe the chart a bit more?

In your example data, you have what seems to be, three values "Recurring Revenue Contracts", "Capital Sales", & Maintenance. Which of these three values are the two that you want charted? Also, what is FY13/14 and the rest of the items that look like that?

Jason
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jason

Thanks for coming back to me.

FY13/14 etc refers to the financial years that will form the x axis.

Essentially there are two blocks of data that I wish to plot (1. number of units by recurring revenue contracts / capital sales / maintenance, and 2. revenue by recurring revenue contracts / capital sales / maintenance).

I would like the the y axis on the left hand side of the graph to reflect the units, and this data to be presented in a stacked bar chart. Whilst the y axis on the right hand side to reflect the revenue (£000), with three lines (recurring revenue contracts, capital sales and maintenance).

I have attached what I have achieved so far!

Hopefully this makes sense.

Paul

Attachment: 2014-03-25_114227_germany_-_sales_graph.xlsx

Thank you for the update.

You have three values in the first set and three values in the second set. Do you want each value in each set to have it's own bar? (ie: 3 bars for the first set and 3 bars for the 2nd?) Or do you want to sum them up first?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Each value must be kept separate - so for the stacked bar chart (to show units) there should be three different coloured stacks, which tie into the y axis on the left.

Then for the revenue there should be a separate line for each set of values (i.e. recurring revenue contracts, capital sales & maintenance), which ties into the y axis on the right.

Thank you for the update Paul.

I now understand.

You can add each series one at a time.

Please, follow the instructions on the following page that I found for you: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/add-or-remove-a-secondary-axis-in-a-chart-HP001234165.aspx#BMsecondaryverticalaxis

There is a bit of leg work that you must complete. If you have any issues with that process, please, let me know.

Thank you again for your time.

I look forward to your next message or your rating below.

To rate me, you can click one of the faces below and click Submit/Ok or click the Accept button.

If you ever wish to work with me in the future, you can ask your new questions and have them sent to me directly at the following page: http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-computertechmaster/

Thank you again,
- Jason

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Jason

This is ridiculous. This is one of the set of instructions I tried to follow which wouldn't work - which is why I contacted you.

A complete waste of my time and money. Are we able to speak so that you can guide me through the instructions?

When I click on the chart I do not get, go to the format tab I do not have the opportunity to get a secondary axis.

I still need help - can we speak rather than do this by email?

I am sorry to hear that Paul.

I will walk you through it.

May I remote into your system and show you how to do this?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That sounds like a good idea. Thanks.

Please, click the following link and choose to run the remote application: http://166.78.231.170:8040/?Session=a88fda12-9fb2-4576-a6e1-a4809e71b1b2

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We are connected

All is now working.

Thank you for your time and please, do not forget to rate my help below.

- Jason