Josh
Josh, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Expert for over 10 years
50836188

i have an ipad and i phone with icloud email address and want

i have an ipad and i phone with icloud email address and want it to sync with my pc with windows 7 and live mail.
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
Hi! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

What error messages are you receiving?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Josh,

Sadly the pc is in another location, I thought I had emailed myself the error message but stupidly had not. So what i would like from you is the set up start to finish of putting iCloud on a windows7 pc with windows live mail.Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so that pc, my iPad , and iPhone are all synchronised for address book and email messages

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.

To enable iCloud on your Windows PC (Windows 7 or 8 required), first set up iCloud on your other devices, then install the iCloud Control Panel for Windows.

Download now

Open the iCloud Control Panel and enter the Apple ID you used to create your iCloud account. Select the iCloud services you’d like to enable and click Apply.

To enable automatic downloads for your music, apps, and books, open iTunes > Edit > Preferences > Store and select Music, Apps, and Books.*

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Josh, I will not be able to confirm if this works, until I am back with the pc. The person who set it up originally, for some reason set up a gmail account to act as a go between which caused the error messages,(not sure why)the only thing that worked was sending and receiving. Should i remove the iCloud acct and gmail from the pc and start afresh.

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
I would start fresh but it is not necessary. Let me know how it goes!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, can you shine any light on the reason why the other person used gmail as a go between. Is it because of windows live mail. I have read on a few sites that some people find iCloud not compatible with live mail?

Regards Bruce

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
It is because of WLM (Windows Live Mail) - Gmail is a great 'go between' email provider.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We have come round in a circle so are you saying now I can not set it up with windows live mail. The error messages are coming up because of the gmail go between which is not synching address book , deleted emails etc. So is you original answer not going to work on the question that i asked originally.

Regards Bruce

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
Hi Bruce,

I apologize -- I forgot to mention in my response with the answer that the iCloud control panel is with Outlook and not WLM.

Using it with WLM should work with the following IMAP settings..

If those settings do not work, please try these:

1. Click "Add new email account"
2. Fill in your email, password and full name as you want it to be displayed. Check the box "Configure server settings manually"
3. Fill out settings:
Server for incoming email: p02-imap.mail.me.com - Port: 993
Check the box for secure connection (SSL)
Leave "Log in with: Clear text authentication"
Set the log in ID to your email address, but without the "@me.com" part.
Outgoing email: Server: smtp.me.com - Port: 587
Mark the checkbox "This server requires a secure connection (SSL)" for both servers, as well as "Server requiers authentication".
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will get back to you, hope it works.