Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

Windows 7 - old MS office 97 which works perfectly til now

Customer Question

Windows 7 - old MS office 97 which works perfectly 'til now - re Excel I have a table 12 columns wide and with 50 lines. cells formed in this contain numbers which i want to add horizontally in lines and vertically in columns. have successfully used the Autosum icon previously - but now the icon only adds the figures in the first 3 left hand cells- not the whole 12 horizontal cells???.how to correct
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard and I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Is this only happening for one file, or any Excel file you have?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Any Excel file which uses autosum

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Can you send me a file of one that your having the problem with.

Just to see if its excel, or the template or your computer

- Click the following link: http://www.wikisend.com
- Upload the file to that website
- Once it is uploaded, the resulting page will display a "File ID" number.
- Please, give me that "File ID Number"

thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

just to clarify - My £21 is for the present help. it is not a sign on for montghly payments. Please confirm this is correct

regards

vic wroth

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
This is correct Vic

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sample of problem page ( no column/horizontal lines shown!!). Vertical
addition also required

DESCRIPTION TOTAL i Apl May Jun July Aug Sept Oct Nov Dec-13
i Jan14 Feb Mar i TOTAL
Dentist 213 49 i 49 18 49
i
Council Tax 1983 223 ii225 225 225 225 225 225 225 225 nil nil
i
Car MOT i incl i
Car service 228 i 344 i
Car Road Tax 236 i 220 i
Car repairs 55 30 i i
Car rescue subs 29 i 29 i
Car Insurance 324 i 252 i
Car Petrol 522 80 48 ii31 95 103 114 50 50
Car Maintain 25 i 90 9 93
Water Charges 500 i 126 179
Electric Bills 500 40 40 i40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 35
HouseInsure i 82
Centl Heatg/plumbing 135 i 40 29 i
Clothes 185 125 i 46 30
Presents 828 1022 25 i23 115 15 25 15 25
i

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

richard,

File ID is - 922564

regards

Vic

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, I looked into it, but it is just too old a version for me to see what the issue is.

I will have to opt out for another expert that may have more experience with this version.

You do not need to do anything, when an expert takes over your case, you will be notified.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

richard,

On seeing what i have transferred to you the layout in you companys window has not presented exactly what I have here . All my stuff is laid out in correct columns and lines -but what you window produced does not repeat wahat i have here - although the text and numbers are correct. if i could E =- mail you anattachment to an e- mail you would get the correct layout/ Is this on ? in which case I need an e -mail address - unless you want the actual file data,when i've sent you what i can, but it doesn't look the same layout as my version here - as described in my initial enquiry???

regards

Vic Wroth

Vic Wroth

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Hi Vic

you supplied the actual file as well, 97 is just too old a version for me sorry.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

richard,

Yep! it's an old version that has worked correctly hitherto! can't understand why its gone suddenly wonkey? S'pose i'll have to rejoin the 21st century!

Vic

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
would you be willing to consider this?

It is the most oldest version I have ever seen here on this site!

Do you want assistance with upgrading Vic?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Vic

I redid the file for you in a new file and uploaded it here

http://wikisend.com/download/951428/Richard.xls

Does this file calculate for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

richard,

downloaded the "richard.xls file you sent - but got a message " there was a problem sending the command to a program????

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Can you open Excel first Vic, then Open the file within Excel as opposed to double clicking the file.

Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

richard sorry for delay. In answer to your proposal i tried it but file still came up with me only, on pressing the Icon, to "autosum" the first horizontal cell number - leaving the remaining horizontal cells uncalculated ie still wrong total!

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, it is your copy of Excel Victor.

I advise you to upgrade to a trial version which you can download here

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/try/

Once installed, run the later version of Excel and it will then sum correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks richard,

At present i'm going to have to calculate my spread sheet with a calculator!!! due to urgency although all the rest of the program works OK

But can see will have to do something about upgrading soon

Thanks for your effort and interest - but I think I've got an intractable problem due to age of Excel and Office 97 ( although it's still offered for sale on the net!!!???)

regards

Vic

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Richard. re my excell computing problem. For your info - I ALWAYS transfer the "filled in " schedule at the end of each year to start a new year - deleting all the existing figures to provide a blank new schedule. I decided NOW just to start with a new blank Excel sheet and re configure it to match my "Normal" schedule layout inserting trial numbers to check if it calculated OK.

IT DID!!!!!!!!So the problem ,whatever it was, was within my "old" schedule format ??!! SO I'M ALL OK NOW. You learn something new every day?????!!!!!

Can someone pay me my £21 back?(only joking)

regards

Vic Wroth