AAATom
AAATom, Consultant
Experience:  Master's Degree in Computer Science, 20+ years of experience
66411959

Hi, I have created a drop down list in word 2010. In my drop

Hi, I have created a drop down list in word 2010.
In my drop down list I have several options 18 in total.
When a user selects one of the drop down choices I want the text and background colour fill to be different depending on the choice the user picks.

How can I assign a different format of text and background fill colour to the 18 options the user has?

Tony
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  AAATom replied 2 years ago.

AAATom :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I would like to help you make the drop down list work the way you describe.

Can you, please, confirm that you want the text and background color change in the document, not in the dro down list, correct?

AAATom :

Tom

Customer:

Hi Tom,

Customer:

The color change will be in the drop down list

AAATom :

Hm, that is a bit of an unusual thing to do. Please give me few minutes to check it out.
Can you tell me which version of Word do you have?

Customer:

I have 2010

AAATom :

OK, thank you.

Customer:

image of problem
Full Size Image

Customer:

I would like the background fill to be green for low risk when selected, yellow for Medium risk when selected and red for high risk when selected

AAATom :

I understand. I am checking if this can be done in Word.

AAATom :

I am not really sure this can be done but I'm trying some workarounds.
Thank you for the patience.

AAATom :

Can you, please, send me the document with the drop down?
You can upload the file to www.wikisend.com service and post here the File ID number you get there.

Customer:

sure will do

AAATom :

Customer:

I am blocked from doing that whilst connected to my work internet, but I will do it when I get home in around two hours

AAATom :

I see. I am sorry for the problem.
You can try attaching the file here in chat by using the paperclip icon.

AAATom :

It will ask for a picture but it can take several file types. Please try it.

AAATom :

OK, got the file, thank you!

Customer:

you will see there is color coding but its not correct, it covers all options you make

AAATom :

Yes, I see. I needed to see which control you used for the drop down.

AAATom :

I'm not sure this control can be manipulated though.
Please give me some more time for this.

Customer:

no problem many thanks

AAATom :

You are welcome.

Customer:

I am going home now, will you reply to my email address [email protected]

Customer:

or I will be available tomorrow to close this out with you.....

AAATom :

OK, not a problem.
You can come back to this page from your home computer (or smartphone). We are not allowed to use direct communication except as a form of additional service.

AAATom :

Or we can continue tomorrow if that is more convenient for you, no problems.
Just post here and I will respond as soon as I can.

I'll look into the problem in the mean time, of course.

AAATom :

I have checked the available possibilities and the only way to change anything on the drop down change is by a workaround.
The workaround is a macro that is constantly run in the background. It checks whether any of the drop downs have changed and changes background fill of the changed drop down.

AAATom :

I wrote such a macro and put it in your document.
Please download it from here:

Attachment: 2014-04-08_033759_risk_assessment-mod1.zip

Full Size Image

AAATom :

The document is macro-enabled and I had to zip it to be able to attach it here - just double click the zip fiel to open it and drag the "risk_assessment-mod1.docm" file to a folder where you can open it.
You will have to enable macros for it to work - please let me know if you need assistance with that.

AAATom :

Please test the document and let me know if this is what you had in mind or if there are any issues.

Please do not rate my service until you are satisfied. I will gladly work with you further to make the document work as you need it to.

Tom

AAATom, Consultant
Experience: Master's Degree in Computer Science, 20+ years of experience