Shefin
Shefin, Microsoft Office Specialist
Experience:  Working as Tech support specialist with a world famous computer manufacturer
15907069

I have a new Toshiba laptop. The cursor works fine to log in

Customer Question

I have a new Toshiba laptop. The cursor works fine to log in and moves easily around the screen. However, as soon as I log in it freezes. I am typing this on my old Dell laptop.
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Shefin replied 3 years ago.

Shefin :
Hello! Thank you for your question. I am Shefin and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.
Shefin :
Please let me know when you are ready.
Expert:  Shefin replied 3 years ago.

I apologize that I did not get you on chat. However, I can assist you further in Question and Answer mode.

After logging in, please check if you are able to change anything using the keyboard, in order to make sure that the computer is working fine.

Please make sure and let me know if the issue is with the cursor only. Try an external mouse and let me know if the issue persists with the external mouse.

S H E F I N
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I dont have an external mouse. As I said, I can move the cursor to log in but once I click on the windows logo, the cursor freezes.

Expert:  Shefin replied 3 years ago.

Are you able to get the start menu by pressing the windows key on your keyboard?

Please try the following and let me know if the issue persists.

Remove all external devices, CDs, AC Adapter and battery from the computer. Keep the AC Adapter and battery unplugged.
Hold the power button down for 20-30 seconds. (Nothing will appear on the display and none of the lights will light up.)
Plug in the ac adapter ONLY. (Please note that a power indicator light should be lit on the ac adapter when it is plugged in).
Normally power on the notebook. Check if the issue persists.
Then, shut down the computer and insert the battery too.
Restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, please let me know if you are able to open anything using the keyboard.

Press the Num lock and Cap lock keys and check if the light indicators for them are working.

S H E F I N
If the unit does not power on, remove the ac adapter and insert the battery into the system.
Plug the ac adapter back into the system, the battery charging indicator light will light up.