AAATom
AAATom, Consultant
Experience:  Master's Degree in Computer Science, 20+ years of experience
66411959

why when I switch on my computer I get a message saying it

Customer Question

why when I switch on my computer I get a message saying it is updating then at 30% it indicates upgrade failed. switches off the computer and re-starts it this takes a bit of time. Then at shut down a message says do not power off your computer but this also fails. It happens each time what is wrong?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  AAATom replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I would like to help you get your Windows finish the update process.

Can you, please, tell me what version of Windows do you have?
Is it Windows 7 or Windows 8?

Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Windows 7

Expert:  AAATom replied 2 years ago.
OK, thank you, Bridgeen.

When Windows is saying that it is updating it means it is downloading updates. It is a normal message when that process is running.
The best thing is to leave it to finish the update process. If there are many updates to download the process can take some time depending on the connection speed you have.

Can you, please, tell me did you have the computer turned on continuously for couple of hours lately?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The message after 30% update says it is reverting and clears. When it switches on it says configuring windows please wait

Expert:  AAATom replied 2 years ago.
Hm, are you saying that Windows never get loaded completely (it does not get to the Desktop)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am not sure. I am not sure. every time I turn it on I get the same message configuring windows please wait then the download which at 30% says it is reverting process.and switches off and on again. Then the desktop eventually appears.

Expert:  AAATom replied 2 years ago.
OK, thank you, Bridgeen.

This behaviour can occur if Windows Update did not finish the process and one or more of already downloaded update files is corrupt (and is causing all other updates to fail too).
This may happen if the update process is forcibly interrupted (like when turning the power off).

This can usually be resolved by turning automatic updates off and finishing the update process manually.

As turning automatic updates off is not recommended for security reasons, I recommend changing the way Windows Update performs automatic updates.
Please follow these steps to do that:

1. Slick on Start, then Control Panel
2. In Control Panel click on System & Security, then under Windows Update click on "Turn automatic updating on or off" to open "Choose how Windows can install updates"
3. Under "Important updates", in the drop-down list select "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them"
4. Click on OK button to accept the changes, this will get you back to "System & Security" page.

From that step on Windows will inform you if updates are available. You can then choose to ignore them or to go to Windows Update to install them.

Basically this could be enough to enable you to run Windows normally but I do not recommend ignoring the updates for a long time (that would be the same as turning them off).

If you would like I can remote to your computer (do "screen sharing") and do these steps for you.
It is completely safe, you can see what I am doing and can stop the session at any time.
If you are interested let me know and I will give you instructions how to establish the connection.
AAATom, Consultant
Experience: Master's Degree in Computer Science, 20+ years of experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Windows seems to have completed the update. It switched off and on and configured to 100%. hopefully thats me sorted thank you.

Expert:  AAATom replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome, Bridgeen!
I am glad I could help you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I intended the £28 I paid was for you. I was asked to pay for expert advise and you gave it

Expert:  AAATom replied 2 years ago.
Yes, Bridgeen, I received the payment, thank you very much!