Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

I use windows powerpoint for Mac and when I go into presentation

I use windows powerpoint for Mac and when I go into presentation mode the presentation crashes and reports the following error. how do I fix it?
Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 2.0

Error Signature:
Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS
Date/Time: 2014-05-05 08:00:59 +0000
Application Name: Microsoft PowerPoint
Application Bundle ID: com.microsoft.Powerpoint
Application Signature: PPT3
Application Version: 12.3.6.130206
Crashed Module Name: QuickTimeComponents
Crashed Module Version: 2826.17
Crashed Module Offset: 0x00464152
Blame Module Name: Microsoft PowerPoint
Blame Module Version: 12.3.6.130206
Blame Module Offset: 0x003213cb
Application LCID: 1033
Extra app info: Reg=en Loc=0x0409
Crashed thread: 0
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you do the following which should resolve this problem for you.

Quit all Microsoft Office for Mac programs.

On the Go menu, click Home.

Open Library.

Note The Library folder is hidden in Mac OS X Lion. To display this folder, hold down the OPTION key while you click the Go menu.

Open Preferences.

Drag com.microsoft.powerpoint.plist to the desktop.

If you cannot locate the file, PowerPoint is using the default preferences. Go to CONTINUE HERE.

Open PowerPoint, and check whether the problem still occurs. If the problem still occurs, quit PowerPoint, restore the file to its original location, and go to the next step. If the problem is resolved, drag com.microsoft.powerpoint.plist to the Trash.

CONTINUE HERE

On the Go menu, click Home.

Open Library.

Open Preferences.

Open Microsoft, and then drag com.microsoft.powerpoint.prefs.plist to the desktop.

If you cannot locate the file, PowerPoint is using the default preferences. Go to CONTINUE HERE

Open PowerPoint, and check whether the problem still occurs. If the problem still occurs, quit PowerPoint, restore the file to its original location, and go to the next step. If the problem is resolved, drag com.microsoft.powerpoint.prefs.plist to the Trash.

CONTINUE HERE

On the Go menu, click Home.

Open Library.

Note The Library folder is hidden in Mac OS X Lion. To display this folder, hold down the OPTION key whil you click the Go menu.

Open Preferences.

Open Microsoft, and then Office 2008 (or Office 2011).
Drag PowerPoint Toolbars (12) or Microsoft PowerPoint Toolbars to the desktop.

Open PowerPoint, and check whether the problem still occurs.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry I am having problems finding the library not very technically minded! what do you mean by the option key?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No problem, the Option key is on the keyboard and has Option on it.

If you do not have it, use the ALT key instead Jo.

Let me know if you have any difficulties please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It worked, thank you very much. It seemed to work with the first suggestion but when I opened another presentation it crashed. then I tried the other method and it worked on the second time of trying that. Thank you.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Perfect!

It was the preference file that was the issue.

Excellent work here Jo!

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Richard, Software Engineer
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues