Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

I recently bought a new computer running on Windows 8 and upgraded

I recently bought a new computer running on Windows 8 and upgraded to windows8.1 at your kind invitation. I also bought Office Home and Student 13. which was duly donloaded and registered with you. Power Point and OneNote seem to be ready to run OK, but Word and Excel - the very parts which I normally use, insist on stopping and telling me that the program has stopped working as soon as I begin to try to use them. HELP!
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

I would like you to do the following as the first step please

Close all programs.

Press the windows key + X and click on Control Panel.

Click Programs, uninstall a program.

click on Office, click Change, then Repair.

Do an online repair.

When this has completed, restart the computer and tell me if Word and Excel now work please.

thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I eventually got as far as clicking repair. Almost immediately I was told there was a problem and given error code 300294

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Edith.

We will need to reinstall office, via this method.

Download and run this program to uninstall office

http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9815935

Once done, restart the computer.

Install office again and let me know if Word and Excel now function please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm stuck again! I can't find how to reinstall my Office, which I bought as a card with product key

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
No problem, just click on my link below and you can follow the instructions to install it again

www.office.com/backup

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm back to where I started with both Word and Excel telling me they have stopped working as soon as I try to do anything with them!

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Edit,

We had to do this to rule out the problem

The next step is the following

Press the windows key + R, type in MSCONFIG and press enter.

Click on the Startup Tab and click Disable All. If it says to go to task manager to do this, please do that by clicking it on that page

Click on the Services Tab and click "Hide All Microsoft Services"

Then click Disable All

Click ok, restart and let me know if word now works please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What is the windows key on this very unfamiliar Windows 8.1?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
It is the key on your Keyboard Edith, that has the windows logo on it.

To the left of the left Alt.

Let me know if you have any difficulties please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks- I'd never had reason to even notice that amidst all that is new!

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Its a good key to have. Been there for years (before even Windows 7) but never really noticed by anyone :)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I got as far as clicking onto the services tab, but it didn't seem to give me the option of hiding anything Once again, Help!

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
It will be in the lower left corner Edit.

Like in this picture.

Click me to view

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

All done, but I'm back to where we started again!

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Can you download and run this file please

http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9832664

once you have run it, restart the computer and tell me please if Word now starts.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The programme ran OK, only to tell me that it couln't find Office 2003! or newer on the computer!!

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, there are serious issues on this computer Edith.

We need to do the following. It will not touch your data, but all your programs, you will have to reinstall again.

Turn off the computer

Turn it on, and when you are at the sign in screen DO NOT sign in.

But hold SHIFT down on the keyboard and with it held down, click on the power icon in the bottom right and click Restart (still with SHIFT held down).

Keep holding Shift down until it has restarted and you are at a menu.

Click on Troublshoot, then click refresh my PC.

Let this complete and when it has, install Office again and tell me if it now functions please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did all this as far as the computer restarting, but it refused to give me a menu, so I couldn't get to troubleshoot and refresh stages. I'm inclined to think the best way forward might be to appeal to the shop where I bought both computer and Office, after all this time spent on it - do you agree?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
If it is under warranty Edith, then use, they can do that for you (my instructions).

For you, it may be the best course of action.

But I have marked this question to never close, so any issues, just let me know here please, no problem with this.

If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I appreciate your keeping this question open and will certainly come back to you if I have further problems. I hope the shop enjoy their task!

Thanks for all your patient help.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Your most welcome.

Like I said, any problems, please let me know

And please remember to click one of the smiley faces below to rate my service.

Richard, Software Engineer
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues