Jason Jones
Jason Jones, Computer Technician
Experience:  Over 10 years work experience.
30759776

My HP L1710 desktop computer has windows XP and has been perfect

Customer Question

My HP L1710 desktop computer has windows XP and has been perfect until this week, I sent some emails and switched off the machine as normal. When I tried to restart it later in the day all I get is the blue HP invent screen, followed by the black Windows screen with the flashing blue dots/lines and then there is a 'whoooosh' sound and the words 'monitr going to sleep' appear on the screen, then another whoooosh and the cycle starts again.

I don't understand jargon and I have no-one to help me. Please tell me in simple terms what to do. I understand I may have to buy a new PC but I want everything to look the same as now!!

Many thanks, Chris (Miss)
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  michelleclive replied 2 years ago.

michelleclive :

Hi,My name is Michelle and i will be assisting you

michelleclive :

please try the below steps...

michelleclive :

turn off computer and unplug power cord..keep the power button on cpu pressed for 10 secs..wait for a minute..plug in power cord back in and turn on computer

michelleclive :

check if it boots up fine or not

michelleclive :

if not restart computer and tap the f8 key...if you are able to reach the advanced menu..select safe mode option and press enter

michelleclive :

once in safe mode run a system restore as per steps listed below

michelleclive :

Click start...all programs...accessories...system tools...system restore...
in the window that appears, restore computer to earlier date and time and click next
select a date may be a day or 2 back when system was running fine and click next
follow the onscreen steps

the system restore should reverse any changes to the system that might have caused the issue to occour.

michelleclive :

let me know if you were able to try any of these steps and got any success or not

michelleclive :

i will assist further accordingly

JACUSTOMER-p5bo4zz4- :

I have just done everything you said, and on the screen I clicked the restore system box and saw the desk top page with all the icons and was so hopeful then the screen went blank and went back to the same cycle as per my question.

JACUSTOMER-p5bo4zz4- :

Now I have tried again and got as far as a page saying desktop

michelleclive :

so right now you are on desktop screen

michelleclive :

is that correct

JACUSTOMER-p5bo4zz4- :

windows is running in safe mode. .... to proceed to work in safe mode click YES ....... last time I clicked NO so this time what should I do?

michelleclive :

click yes

michelleclive :

let me know once you reach the desktop screen

JACUSTOMER-p5bo4zz4- :

OK now have black screen with my work icons

michelleclive :

ok...let me know that were you able to complete system restore

michelleclive :

or are yet to try that

JACUSTOMER-p5bo4zz4- :

there is nothing on the screen for me to click so what do I do?

michelleclive :

do you see the start button on bottom left of screen

JACUSTOMER-p5bo4zz4- :

yes

michelleclive :

select a date may be a week or 2 back when system was running fine and click next
follow the onscreen steps

michelleclive :

let me know if it start the system restore or not

michelleclive :

select the restore date as 3-4 days back

JACUSTOMER-p5bo4zz4- :

I have now got a panel on the left with all the prgrammes etc listed and at the bottom the two icons = log off and turn off computer but what do I do now

michelleclive :

do you see an option that says restore computer to a back date

JACUSTOMER-p5bo4zz4- :

no

michelleclive :

if not quite possible you missed out on a step here.. i can share screenshots if you would like

michelleclive :

ok

JACUSTOMER-p5bo4zz4- :

I have done exactly as you told me

michelleclive :

Full Size Image

michelleclive :

Full Size Image

michelleclive :

Full Size Image

michelleclive :

check and let me know that as per steps i listed do any of these windows open up

michelleclive :

if you are unable to find the options let me know

JACUSTOMER-p5bo4zz4- :

I switched off the computer and started again following your instructions and got to the restore page, I selected a date and then on the screen came the long line ........ restoring .... at the end (and this is the second time) the screen went blank, then came up the words 'monitor going to sleep' followed by a 'whooosh' and then the same cycle as before, ble HP invent screen, then the windows black screen etc.

michelleclive :

ok...lets try the next step..restart and tap f8 and reach safe mode

michelleclive :

let me know once on desktop

JACUSTOMER-p5bo4zz4- :

ok

michelleclive :

once on desktop..click start..right click on computer...then manage...click on device manager

michelleclive :

let me know once device manager window is open

JACUSTOMER-p5bo4zz4- :

do you want me to click yes or no to the question ...to proceed to work in safe mode

michelleclive :

yes

michelleclive :

to go to safe mode click yes

JACUSTOMER-p5bo4zz4- :

clicked on start and now have the panel on the left what do i click to get to manager?

michelleclive :

michelleclive :

JACUSTOMER-p5bo4zz4- :

I clicked on the computer but nothing says manage, just a box that says arrange icons by.

michelleclive :

no click start..then right click on computer

michelleclive :

a right click

michelleclive :

then click on manage

JACUSTOMER-p5bo4zz4- :

do you mean right click on the icon that says ' my computer'?

michelleclive :

yrd

michelleclive :

yes

michelleclive :

right click on my computer icon

michelleclive :

then click on manage

michelleclive :

then device manager

JACUSTOMER-p5bo4zz4- :

nt sure if you got my last question, do i click on the icon that says 'my computer'?

michelleclive :

right click on the icon that says my computer

michelleclive :

in the menu that pops up after that click on manage

michelleclive :

then device manager

JACUSTOMER-p5bo4zz4- :

I keep clicking with the right hand side of the mouse but allIi get is a box saying arrange icons.... new.... properties.... refresh....

michelleclive :

you are not right clicking on the icon

michelleclive :

the right click is happening on the desktop

JACUSTOMER-p5bo4zz4- :

there is no manager icon on my computer page it just says files stored..... hard disk drives..... devises with removable storage......

michelleclive :

seems you are not opening the correct screen

michelleclive :

no worries

michelleclive :

restart computer and tap f8

michelleclive :

this time select safe mode with networking option

michelleclive :

and yes when it asks to proceed to safe mode

michelleclive :

once in i will try to take remote access

JACUSTOMER-p5bo4zz4- :

Bingo! have found device manager - you were right I clicked on the wrong icon! So now what do I do?

michelleclive :

ok great

michelleclive :

now click on display adapter

michelleclive :

the list will expand

michelleclive :

let me know what options you get below display adapter

JACUSTOMER-p5bo4zz4- :

intel (R) 946GZExpress Chipset family

michelleclive :

so just to confirm when you click on the arrow or plus sign besides display adapter it expandsthe list

michelleclive :

and under subheading it comes up as this option

JACUSTOMER-p5bo4zz4- :

yes

michelleclive :

ok and what is listed below that

JACUSTOMER-p5bo4zz4- :

DVD/CD-ROM drives

michelleclive :

ok

michelleclive :

now RIGHT CLICK on the intel express chipset option

michelleclive :

select uninstall\remove

michelleclive :

confirm the uninstallation and once done restart computer

JACUSTOMER-p5bo4zz4- :

there is now a box saying the Intel ..... has encountered a problem and needs to close boxes at the bottom say debug send error report don't send

michelleclive :

click on dont send and restart computer

JACUSTOMER-p5bo4zz4- :

now back to the same blue screen black screen monitor going to sleep cycle. Sorry but I really don't think you are going to sort out my problem, thanks for your time

michelleclive :

see the problem we are delaing here is of a system file setting corruption

michelleclive :

to be honest if you think solving this is easy and a quick fix availabe, i am sorry that is not the case

michelleclive :

considering that your system lands up back at sleep mode setting i have to work as per the pace of how your computer reacts tro the steps we try

michelleclive :

if you do not wish to continue i will surely opt out

JACUSTOMER-p5bo4zz4- :

do you really think you can solve this for me and restore my computer to how it was?

michelleclive :

i think that is what we both are trying to do

michelleclive :

let me know if i should proceed

JACUSTOMER-p5bo4zz4- :

thanks for trying but you have not solved my problem. Good bye.

michelleclive :

yes sure i will opt out as \reolsution to this problem requires multiple steps to be tried and to be honest i am not in giving quick fixes

michelleclive :

one of my fellow experts will assist you from here on

I will opt out as resolution to this problem requires multiple steps to be tried and to be honest i am not in giving quick fixes
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question today. My name is Jason. I look forward to helping you today.

I see that you have been working on this problem for quite a bit of time.

No extra charge:
Do you still need help with this problem? If so, may I start a screen sharing session on your computer and help you resolve the problem?

You will have to start "Safe Mode with Networking" and then I can remote in and fix it.