Viet -MS Office Tech
Viet -MS Office Tech, Other
Experience:  Ten years of computer hardware and software support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac; Microsoft Office, etc.
30037186

I refer to my recent purchased advent lap top. Cannot remember

I refer to my recent purchased advent lap top. Cannot remember my password XXXXX my comp won't let me in. Have tried recently used other passwords but still no access.

Hello Frank! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. So you cannot open or use any program on the laptop at all.

Does your laptop have windows 7 or 8, etc.?

Does it show a username and/or email address at the login screen?

Is it okay reset the laptop and start over?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Windows 8

shows Email address.

Tried resetting - that's how the trouble started but ok to reset again.

Thank you. If you have not tried yet, on a working computer, see if you can reset your microsoft account email address password XXXXX the website https://account.live.com/ResetPassword.aspx

If that does not work, or it's easier to try the following on the advent laptop; this will definitely work:

1. At the login / password XXXXX press and keep holding the Shift key on the keyboard.
  2. Click on the Power icon, then click on Restart while still holding the Shift key.
  3. When a menu appears, then you can release the Shift key.
  4. When prompted, click on the troubleshoot / reset... option.
    (If prompted, select the "Just remove files" option.)

Please click on the Reply to Expert tab below, and reply back to me, so I can help further if there is still any issue. Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have tried second option. Don't get a menu - computer now stuck on "installing update 1 of 1"

I'm sorry, let's wait a few minutes until the update is finished, then try my 2nd suggestion again; make sure to keep holding the Shift key.

Please let me know if there is still any issue. Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have tried your second option. Don't get a menu - get "installing update 1of1" and the computer is stuck on that.

Sorry, can you press & hold the power on/off button on the laptop for about 7 seconds until it powers off, then turn it back on and try my 2nd suggestion again?

If that does not work, press & hold power on/off button to turn off again
, then press & keep holding Shift key
, then turn on the laptop
, then right away, keep pressing & releasing the key F8 quickly and repeatedly while still holding the Shift key until a menu appears
, then select the troubleshoot / reset... option

Please let me know if there is still any issue. Thank you,