Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

My Cannon MG4150 printer was having minor problems so I uninstalled

My Cannon MG4150 printer was having minor problems so I uninstalled it the tried to reinstall it from the supplied CD rom. It will not reinstall & keeps giving me an error message stating that the MP driver is in use. I've been through the usual remedies of clearing the spool files, rebooting etc & have deleted the original driver. however I noticed that there was a second driver showing on the programme list that appears to have been partially installed yesterday when I tried the reinstall from the Cd rom, this is the driver that will not uninstall. it just keeps giving me the error message that the driver is in use.
I am not by any means proficient with computers & need some assistance to reinstall my printer. I have Windows 8.1 operating system.
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you do the following please

Close all programs

Press the windows key + R and type in

msconfig

press enter

Click on the Services Tab and click "Hide All Microsoft Services"

Then click Disable All

Click on the Startup Tab and click the link to Task Manager and Disable All items.

Click ok, and ok on the Msconfig box and restart and then try to install the printer.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

when you say all programmes does that include this one

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
yes please Paul

when your finished, you can just return to this webpage.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok stand by

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Richard I have carried out your instructions but I'm still getting the same error message

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
When did you uninstall it Paul?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yesterday. the driver shown on the list in control panel add/remove programmes that seems to be the cause of the problem is also dated yesterday but has no other info with it except its name & the date

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, I want you to do a system restore please to a date before this all happened.

Please do the following

Go to the Windows 8 Start Screen and type restore point. When the search results appear click on the Settings category.

Now click on the option labeled Create a restore point and you will be brought to the System Protection tab of the System Properties control panel.

Click on the System Restore button and you will be presented with the main screen for System Restore. Now click on the Next button and you will be shown a list of available restore points that you can restore.

Select the restore point you wish to restore by left-clicking on the entry once. Use a date when this was working

Then click on the Next button at the restore point selection screen. You will now be at a screen asking if you are sure you wish to perform the restore.

Click on the Finish button. System Restore will once again ask if you are sure you wish to continue. If you are sure, please click on the Yes button.

System Restore will now reboot your computer and begin the restore process. Please be patient as this can take quite some time.

Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Richard, I'm just writing your instructions down so that I don't get it wrong. I'll let you know the results as soon as I have completed them.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Richard please accept my apologies for the delay but my laptop seemed to take ages to restore then it gave me an error message saying that it had not been successful, was unable to access a file which was probably due to antivirus software. I switched my anti virus & tried again but with the same result. Still getting the error message when trying to install the printer software!

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Its ok Paul

It would not have been the anti virus software though, but something corrupted in windows.

We need to do a reinstall.

First, can you copy your data off the computer onto a external hard drive (programs we need to install again)

let me know when you have done this please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

when I bought the lap top from PC World the set it up & gave me a set of discs with all the programmes on I will back up all my personal files & get back to you

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok Richard I've saved all my personal files onto a memory stick. There are 5 discs in the pack from the retailer I presume I start with Disc 1

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Not needed, as you have windows 8

Turn off the computer

Turn it on and let it load to the login screen, but do not sign in.

Instead, hold down SHIFT and with it held down, click on the power icon and then click Restart (still with shift held down).

Keep holding shift down until it has restarted and taken you to a menu.

Choose Troubleshoot, then Reset My Pc

this will do the installation of windows again.

Once done, setup the computer and then install the printer.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok will be back soon I hope.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Paul
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well it has taken quite a while Richard but my computer is back up & running & I have finally reinstalled my printer software successfully, thank you.