Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I have a mac with microsoft office. The word for windows it

I have a mac with microsoft office. The word for windows it totally freaking out. Various documents that I have used over the past several days are flanking across the screen. I can stop the pattern.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about the issue. Please clarify, is the problem here your MS Word in your Windows computer? Or is it the MS Word in your Mac?

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That's what I'm asking you. I have a MacPro and all functions working fine including Skype, email etc. But the software - office for Mac seems to have a problem. It flashed documents on the screen, and I can't control it. I'm guessing there's a virus, but I didn't think macs got viruses.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Jamie,

Thank you for writing back. My inquiry was based on your problem description about "Word for Windows" so I was expecting you have 2 computer, a Windows and a Mac. MS Word has a Windows version and a Mac version and they are 2 different products. I am very sorry about the confusion but I believe you are only using a Mac and MS Word there is acting up, right?

Now, regarding the problem. When you open MS Word Mac, it should normally open a blank document ready for typing. But in your case, a bunch of your old documents are automatically loaded or rendered on screen when you open MS Word Mac?

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes that is correct. No black document. Just existing do uments flashing one after another.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jamie,

Thank you for that confirmation. Please do the following:

Look in System Preferences => General => Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps

Please UNCHECK that option, save the changes and restart your Mac and then test your Word.

Please keep me posted with your results so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I find system preferences by clicking the apple/word icon - correct? I can't control word- it doesn't respond. So I can't do what you suggest.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Jamie,

No, it is not in the Word preferences. It is in the System Preferences in your Mac. Please go to System Preferences => General and uncheck the option that says Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps

Save the changes and restart your Mac and then test your Word.

Regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That did not work problem still persists, unless it's that I haven't saved the changes properly
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Jamie,

Please visit the setting again and see if it is still UNCHECKED this time. Also, you can restart the computer then test your Word. Please bookmark this page so that you can get back to me easily after restarting.

Regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It didn't work. I went back to general and the box was unchecked. But the problem persists
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Jamie,

Can I remotely access your computer so that I can directly assist you with this? Please let me know so that I can send you the steps for me to remote in.

Regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Jamie,

Thank you for allowing me to remote in to help you better with your Word issue.

In order for me to remote in, we need a free tool. Please go to this link:
http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

Locate and click the link that says "Join Remote Control Session" and then run it. Then give me the 9-digit code and the password ***** that I can remote in.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can't connect to the Internet where I am. It will be a few minutes.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Ok Jamie, please take your time... Please download the tool in your Mac where Word is installed any time when you got an internet connection so that I can then remote in. Please make sure to post the 9-digit ID and the password ***** I need them to connect.

Regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
458 291 451 (h96ma7)
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Jamie, I will try to connect now. Please do not close your team viewer.

Jess
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Jamie,

Did you close your team viewer? Please open it and do not close it and then give me the new password (since it will be renewed when you re-open it).

Regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
458 291 451 (97g1dz)
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jamie,

Thanks and I am already connected. But are you having internet issues with your computer? I was consistently discconected from the remote session.

Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So what should I do? Go to a different location?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jamie,

I am standing by here. I believe you restarted the computer. Please give me the new digits when you are back online so that I can proceed to the next procedures to fix this problem.

Regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You said it was a Mac settings problem. I have an appointment at 4:45 with the apple store
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Yes Jamie. It is definitely an issue with Mac and not with Microsoft Word. I have confirmed this with several people online having the same problem with you and the issue is with Mac restoring previously opened documents.

That is why, as a workaround, you need to set Documents to NONE in the preferences, which we did but then it appears not working (Word still showing the same problem) because your Word still has "recent documents" remembered. It can only work when the recent documents list in MS Word is removed.

If you are still available for remote session, please open team viewer and allow me to remote in so that I can do the other solutions. This includes installing a special tool to fix this issue, and a command prompt (terminal) approach.

However, if you prefer to send the unit to Apple, if it is convenient with you, then that will be fine as well.

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated! Cool

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1-2 stars/faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you do it in 10 minutes? m936sz
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Jamie,

I believe you restarted the computer so I lost connection with you. That was one of the solutions and please let me know if Word is fixed after the restart. If now, we can try the other solution.

Regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Jh882j
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you still there? We need you
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Jamie,

Yes, I am still here.

Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There was a Microsoft critical update that address Ed the problem. I hadn't applied the last one because I could shut down my computer when it arrived. My computer was generating / replicating new docs. Your solution probably would have done the same thing. I will rate you highly.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jamie,

I am glad that your MS Word is now working fine. Yes, I saw the process including the updates and I believe this are patches for the current problem that you are having as the updates are indeed categorized as "critical".

Thank you for your patience.

If you need assistance in the future, you can request me any time.

Best regards,
Jess

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No more questions. Thank you again.