Viet -MS Office Tech
Viet -MS Office Tech, Other
Experience:  Ten years of computer hardware and software support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac; Microsoft Office, etc.
30037186

Im getting the error message: the User Profile Service failed

Customer Question

I'm getting the error message: the User Profile Service failed your logon
yet this is the correct password ***** I can access the other account on my PC fine
what should I try?
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Viet -MS Office Tech replied 3 years ago.

Hello Clare! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. Please try this: turn off your computer. Then turn it on, and right after the black screen with white text or the computer company logo disappears, press & release key F8 repeatedly until a menu appears, (note: if there is no menu, then try the same steps again, but this time, press key F8 a bit earlier). Then try the option Last known good configuration if it appears, then check. If not, or if it does not work, then select then you select Safe Mode, then login and click Start->all programs->accessories->system tools->system restore and restore the computer to any date before this issue has occurred, then wait until system restore finishes, then check.

Does that work? Please click on the Reply to Expert tab below, and reply back to me, so I can provide another solution if there is still issue. Thank you very much.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did that, and then same error message appeared. what else should I try?

I'm sorry, it looks like that account is corrupted, so please try the following: In Safe mode, click on Start, All programs, Accessories, Run... (or press at the same time the two keys Windows and R), then type:

control userpasswords2

then click OK.

Then click on Add..., then give it a user name you want, then Next, and password, then next, then select the Administrator option, then Finish
, then restart the computer normally, then log in the new account and see if you can use the computer in the new account.

If the new account works, then to transfer your data, i.e., documents, pictures, etc. from the old to new account, please log in the new account first (in normal mode)
, then in the new account, click on Start, then Computer
, then open the C: drive, then folder Users, then open the old account name folder there
, then open each of these folders:

Documents
Desktop
Pictures
Favorites
Videos

, then copy all the subfolders/ files in each of the above folders, to similar location of the new account name folder.

(Note: Don't delete the old account for now (in the new account, you would go to Start, control panel, user accounts..., manage another account, then select the old account, and delete.) Let's make sure everything works fine in the new account for a week or so first, then you can delete the old account.)

Please let me know if there is still any issue. Thank you,