Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I want to insert for formula in to a table that will calculate

I want to insert for formula in to a table that will calculate from a separate table from within the same document. I tried to bookmark the table =SUM(Table 1 C2:C2) but it is not working
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

Are you doing this in a Microsoft Word document? Is it Word 2007, 2010 or 2013?
Also, can you send a dummy of that document to me so that I can check your requirement directly? If it is possible, please upload the dummy document to http://wikisend.com and the give me the 6-digit File ID so that I can get your sample file.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am working in 2010 - I know I can just add the total row to the main table but I want to learn how to calculate between separate tables.Test1.docm

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Charlie,

Thank you for writing back. I got the file. Please give me a moment to check your requirements.

Regards,
Jess
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Charlie,

The formula you used in the sample file is incorrect. You cannot use the SUM function to add the referenced cell that is bookmarked.

Can I modify the sample file to show this and to also show how to calculate between tables?

Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Please do

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. Please give me a moment.

Jess
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Charlie,

Thank you for patiently waiting. Here is the completed sample for you:
http://wikisend.com/download/925362/Test1_explained.docm

I put there my explanation as to how to use a bookmarked cell in computing across tables. Please note that bookmarks are only used to name cells in this example so when you want to call that cell in the formula, you just need to enter the name of the bookmark in the formula.

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated! Cool

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** don't want to total a bookmark total in table 1 and add that to a new total. I would like to add up all of the values in the row from a table and show the total in the separate table.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.

Charlie,

Thank you for that clarification. And the only solution for that is to bookmark each cell in the other table and then you just call the bookmark names in the SUM funtion in the other table.

For instance, the first table has 3 cells, bookmark each cell as t1b2, t1b3 and t1b4 (as a note for table 1 cell b2, and so on so that you can identify your bookmarks).

Then in any of the cells in Table 2, you can use the formula:

SUM(t1b2, t1b3,t1b4) to calculate the sum of the 3 cells.

Just remember that bookmarks are just used to name a cell and you can use that name of the cell in formulas and Word will pull the value contained in that cell.

Here is the modified sample:
http://wikisend.com/download/613076/Test1_explained2.docm

I hope that helped.

Best regards,
Jess