Josh
Josh, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Expert for over 10 years
50836188

What telephone number should I ring to speak to a technician

What telephone number should I ring to speak to a technician who can help me to recover/reinstall Microsoft Office 10 on my laptop (Windows 8).
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
    (If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then click Search.)

2. Enter Control Panel in the search box, and tap or click Control Panel.

3. Enter Recovery in the Control Panel search box, and then tap or click Recovery.

4. Tap or click Open System Restore, and then follow the instructions. Restore the computer to a date before you had the Microsoft Office issue.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It tells me that System Protection is turned off. I cannot see how to turn it back on again.

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
James,

Did you follow my steps?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried, but it told me to switch on my System Protection. I cannot see how to do this. When I click on the button "Turn on System Protection" nothing happens.

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
If System protection is turned off then the computer probably wasn't backed up for a system restore.

Did you accidentally uninstall Microsoft Office?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Unfortunately, I am trying to sort this out for my brother in law, who may have 'pressed the wrong button'!! He has difficulties. This is why I have tried to contact Microsoft to get guidance on re-installation.

Microsoft Office was originally installed by internet download by my local PC World, who now seem unable to help (I think they want me to buy another copy of MS Office). I have a card with a PIN no. on, but that does not seem to work.

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
What happens when you entered the PIN again?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When I entered the PIN, it said, "the PIN had already been used to retrieve a Microsoft Office Priduct Key. To Access this Product Key, sign in to your account."

Unfortunately, it seems that no account was created, as it goes on to say, "there is no record of your Product Key on this site." Furthermore, checks of all possible email addresses in use at the time fail to reveal any email containing the Product Key.

How can I take this forward?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How can I take this forward?

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
Have you contacted PC World?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, they said that they could not help.

They gave me a telephone number for Microsoft, which they use. When I rang, I received an automated response involving the usual questions and options.

Just when it seemed that I was going to be transferred to a 'live' technician, the call was terminated. This happened three times.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
James,

Unfortunately that is the only way to get a new PIN/product key is through Microsoft. I have been able to get a new product key through their automated system without having to speak to a live tech and I remember the only way to do so was when it asked if the product key has been used or how many computers it has been used on; the answer has to be zero.

Try that when calling the automated system.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Unfortunately, none of those questions were asked.

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
Strange - The questions may have changed as it has been about a year since I have called the automated support number and it was the US based number.

I am not sure which number you are calling but please call this number: 0-808-101-9181
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Josh

Sorry about the delay. I have been away. I have tried the tel. no. which you suggested, but the response was all in a foreign language!

Can you suggest any other numbers?

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
The phone number that I gave you was just an example and not a real number.

I was showing you the format by adding a 1 to the beginning. Please try one of the problem numbers and add a 1 in front then send
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The tel. no. which I was given is 0***-***-****. When I add a 1, the number is ***** recognised. Perhaps I have misunderstood you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Josh

No, I have no more questions.

Yes, I did give you a rating (not high. I'm afraid, because I got no further forward with my problem) and I completed a feedback form.