Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

Is it possible to have a group of say 50 email addresses and

Is it possible to have a group of say 50 email addresses and to send in such a way that it is received by each member of the group addressed to To:
and BCC to the rest of the group.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

Are you using an email program like MS Outlook 2007, 2010 or 2013? Or Windows Live Mail or Thunderbird to send and receive emails?

Also, is your email account ending with @yahoo.com? @gmail.com? or others?

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Jess,

Using Outlook 2013

My email is : *****@******.***

Ireland

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dave,

Thank you for writing back and I am sorry because I cannot see the email address that you posted because our system masked it to ********@***********.*** for policy reasons.

To answer your question, YES, you can do it. You can create a so-called "distribution list" in your Outlook 2013 from your Address Book and then add your contacts in the list. When you send, you do not need to enter the 50 email addresses, but you just need to enter the name of the distribution list and the people in that list will get your emails.

So the basic workflow is:
  1. Create a distribution list, you can name it so that it will be distinguished from the other lists specially if you will create many lists
  2. Add your contacts to your list, this is where you need to add the 50 people. No need to enter the emails manually especially if they are already in your address book.
  3. Then you are ready to SEND emails! In the TO or CC or BCC field, you just need to enter the name of the group and ALL the people in that group will receive you email.

To create your distribution list, please do these steps:

Open your Outlook and switch your attention to the right hand side of the Window. Here, under the find section you will see the address book. Go ahead and click on it.

image

When the address book opens up, click on the File menu item, then choose New Entry…

image

We are creating a distribution list, so you will need to choose “New Contact Group”.

image

Once the group has been created, we need to add contacts to it, so click on Add Members and then choose “From Outlook Contacts” from the drop down.

image

That should have brought up the below dialog where you can choose contacts to add to the group. So hold down the Ctrl key on your keyboard and select all the contacts you want to add to the group. Then click on the Members button in the bottom left hand corner of the dialog. Then click OK.

image

We then need to give our group a name. I opted for the super creative “How-To Geek Ninjas”.

image

Finally you can click the Save & Close button.

image

Now when you need to send an email to all the people you added to the group, just start typing the name of your group in the To… box and let auto complete do the rest.

image

Source: website

Here is a video to guide you further:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0M5rdyVlFk

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated! Cool

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Jess,

I was always able to set up the contact group.

What I want to do is send out simultaneously the email to all the group, say 50 emails, but only showing to the receiver his/her email address as if he/she is the only receiver of the email.

Thanks, Dave

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Jess,

Await your answers to last email 24/6, 10.39

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Jess,

Can I expect an answer from you.

Dave XXXXX

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dave,

Thank you for writing back and I am sorry for the late reply. I am from another country with a different time zone. Now, regarding this problem, you have two (2) good options to choose from.

First, I believe you have already created a distribution group. Your first option is to send an email adding "ANY" email address to the TO field, but you can also enter your OWN email address in the TO field and then, just enter the contact group or the distribution list name in the BCC field.

In this way, only the addressee (your email address) is seen on the TO field and the rest are BCCs. For instance, if you enter your own email address in the TO field and BCC the distribution list, when they open the email that they receive from you, the sender is you and it is sent to YOU but the receiver got a copy because of the BCC but the BCC addresses are not shown.

This is the closest way you can do it with Outlook and I am very sorry if your requirement is not met. That is how Outlook works.

If you really want to show the individual emails in the TO field when received by your recipient, but sent in batch, this cannot be done in Outlook 2013. I highly recommend using a third party mailer like MailChimp.

When you send bulk emails like sending to 50 emails at once and done in close time interval, it may be wrongly detected by the receivers' email server as a SPAM email. Or another way to put it, your email account can be tagged by other mail servers (the email servers of your contacts) as a spammer account because they detected a bulk mailing activity. This will end up with your emails being sent to their SPAM or BULK mail folder even though your email address is listed in their Address Book.

I highly recommend that you use a third party mailing service like MailChimp. Their email servers are technically configured for mass mailing and that your email account when used with this third party mailing service will not be tagged as a SPAM. This is basically intended for mass mailing like newsletters and this works exactly as your desired requirement: you send the email to a group of 50 and EACH will see only their email address in the TO field, no BCCs. And the good part, you can send to 2000 people at once, no groupings of 50 unless you really need to.

Another good part is that, MailChimp is FREE to use when you send 12,000 emails in one month and if you store not more than 2000 contacts. When you have more than 2000 contacts to send to, there is a minimal fee.

Please click on this link to start using MailChimp:
http://mailchimp.com/

Regarding your Outlook, you can still use it to get their replies and just use MailChimp to send emails since it will be sending a bulk email without the harm of being tagged as SPAM.

I hope that helped.

Best regards,
Jess

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dave,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? If you need further assistance with this, please don't hesitate to let me know, I am here to help.

Best regards,
Jess