Chris L.
Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

I have a hotmail account that was changed to an outlook account

Customer Question

I have a hotmail account that was changed to an outlook account and I lost all of my emails. I need to find an email address from my old hotmail account and know the name but cannot find from my email as all old messages were wiped?
How can I find my old messages. My account is *****@******.***.
Many thanks,
***** *****
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** certified computer professional with over 10 years experience. I will be happy to help you.

Is your new outlook.com email address copletely different from your old address or did you merge the accounts?

Have you ever tried to log into your old account.?

Please let me know so I can further assist.
Chris

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Chris,

My new account is the same, i.e. *****@******.*** became *****@******.***. I had not been using the site for about a year now and this seems to have been done automatically. I did nothing and was thus a little surprised when I needed the old account to see that all of my previous emails had been wiped.

Hope this helps,

Stephen

Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.
Stephen, Can you please retype the email address that you need to have access to and this time do not type the @symbol. Type it like this someoneATsomething.com

Also let me know the last password ***** worked.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sksmith1001AThotmail.com and the password ***** united1.

Hope this helps

Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** looks brand new, is this the same as your old address or was that something else?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No this is my old address and the brandnewness presumably only came when the hotmail changed to outlook. I did not do anything so a bit of a mystery. I had had the account for about five years?

Stephen

Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.
Stephen,

Sorry I just need to confirm because above you typed" My new account is the same, i.e. *****@******.*** became *****@******.***" for privacy reasons this site blocked out what you typed, is the email address exactly the same?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes at the least the name in front of the AT, i.e. sksmith1001. I have not logged in as outlook account as it seems to automatically go through the hotmail account. But again my original was *****@******.***.

Stephen

Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.
About a year or so ago microsoft did away with hotmail and created outlook.com. This change however did allow you to keep all of the information in your old acccount. The account being converted did not erase previous email or contacts.

In some cases it did take up to 24 hours for the mail to show up in the newly coverted outlook account. The thing is your account looks brand new as if you just created it today. If you went through a process of entering a bunch of information and choosing the name again then that means you created a new account with your old name. This would mean your old account was removed because you did not use it in a long time so they deleted it and made the name available for use again.

If you did not create this account today what I would suggest is that you wait and see if this new outlook.com account populates with your old information.

If it does not it is possible that account was marked as inactive and the information was removed. If it had been long enough it would let you use the address again however your inbox contents would be gone.

You may want to contact microsoft on their forums, a moderator will gave toold available to closer at the account and see what happened. It is difficult to get in touch with them however I will provide you instructions.

Go to the following link and click Participate and then click Ask a question on the menu at the top. A box will appear. In that box explain what has happened. Remember to be very polite and give as much information as you can. Here is the link to the forums:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/

I hope the above helps you get the emails back.

I would kindly ask you to remember when you are asked to rate my service you are rating me personally. You are not rating hotmail or their procedures or your frustration with the situation which I know is difficult.

Chris

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, I do not think I created it today. I just went in as I normally had done and had something of a surprise. Will try address as you suggest.

Thanks,

Stephen

Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.
Yes , if you just logged in as you used to then the account was not created today.

In this case the account was converted to the new system and the old content should show up unless it has been too long. Open a question on the microsoft forums I have you anyway to see for sure.

Thanks,
Chris
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So how might I recover emaisl removed because of not using the account. Is this possible? Thanks

Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.
It may or may not be possible. This is why you should prost on that forum that I gave you , a moderator can look deeper into the account and let me know.