Pete
Pete, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

I keep having problems shutting down my PC (windows 8). Also

Customer Question

I keep having problems shutting down my PC (windows 8). Also Google chrome either opens very slowly or not at all
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Pete :

Hi there!

Pete :

I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist you today.

Pete :

What problems are you having when shutting down your Windows 8 PC?

JACUSTOMER-6mffcq7a- :

it just doesn't do anything

Pete :

Ok, can you try CTRL-ALT-END

Pete :

Let me know if that does anything?

JACUSTOMER-6mffcq7a- :

no it doesn't

Pete :

Ok, can you enter Task Manager?

Pete :

(to enter Task Manager, you can press CTRL-SHIFT-ESC)

Pete :

Can you also let me know, are you using a laptop or a desktop PC?

JACUSTOMER-6mffcq7a- :

No, is there another way, other than cntl,alt,delete?

JACUSTOMER-6mffcq7a- :

ctrl-shift-esc doesn't work. I am using a laptop

Pete :

There is a longer method to shut down the laptop.

Pete :

1. Press the Windows button and the C key together.

2. In the slide-out menu (known as the Charms Bar) that appears, click Settings.

3. Click the Power button, and then click Shut down.

JACUSTOMER-6mffcq7a- :

The way you have said is the way I normally do shut my laptop down! I think I am more interested in knowing what is causing my problem than shutting it down just this once

Pete :

Yes, I think either there is a problem with the CTRL button, or there is a problem in the registry.

Pete :

It is possible to disable the Shut Down and Task Manager options in the registry.

Pete :

I'm not sure how this would have happened though, unless you have been tinkering in there, or had a virus infection?

Pete :

Do you have good antivirus and malware protection on the laptop?

Pete :

Have you ever suffered any virus attacks?

JACUSTOMER-6mffcq7a- :

I have Norton

Pete :

Ok, and has it ever detected any malicious attacks?

JACUSTOMER-6mffcq7a- :

no

Pete :

Ok, then it may just be a registry error.

Pete :

Are you familiar with how to edit the computer's registry?

JACUSTOMER-6mffcq7a- :

no

Pete :

Ok, I am going to post a link to some instructions, however I suggest that you get someone who knows how to edit computer registries to assist you, as if the wrong change it made it could leave the computer unworkable.

Pete :

To fix the registry, see: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/be977dc4-c4ac-4da1-9edd-abb7105da781/ctrl-alt-del-and-task-manager-not-working

Pete :

May I ask why you have just rated my service as BAD?

Pete :

This means that I am now penalised for assisting you!

Pete :

:(

JACUSTOMER-6mffcq7a- :

because I don't think you have suggested anything helpful. I don't think it can be the registry because it works sometimes and not others

Pete :

If sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't then it is down to one of the keys not being pressed.

Pete :

Check for crumbs under the key.

Pete :

Particularly the CTRL key as it is more exposed and is common to both of the key commands I mentioned previously.

JACUSTOMER-6mffcq7a- :

I can get to the shut down button but when I click on it nothing happens

Pete :

Do you think it is fair that you come on here and use up my time and then leave a bad rating?

Pete :

You have already rated my service as bad, so please submit a higher rating so I may continue assisting you.

Pete :

Otherwise I am unpaid AND penalised!

JACUSTOMER-6mffcq7a- :

Do you think its fair that I have to pay £24 when I am no closer to resolving my problem?

Pete :

Ratings should be left until the session is complete.
I cannot spend any further time on this with a BAD rating hanging over me.

JACUSTOMER-6mffcq7a- :

the last thing you told me was to look up something on another web site - that sounded like you had finished helping me

Pete :

No, we can go back and forth until you are satisfied, however I am now left with a bad rating.

Pete :

Would you walk into a restaurant and say to the waiter, hey, your service is bad, but I want to order a steak?!

Pete :

I mean, really?! Come on!

JACUSTOMER-6mffcq7a- :

sorry if you feel that I have wasted your time bit I really don't think you have helped. I am finishing this now.

Pete :

Ok, I will just take it on the chin.

JACUSTOMER-6mffcq7a- :

Apparently I have to continue with this link until I get a satisfactory answer and cannot actually get my money back. So to go back to my problem and clarify as I don’t think you were answering what I wanted to know. I often (but not always) have the following problems which all happen at the same time 1) google chrome is very slow or won't work at all, 2) I can get to the dhut down button but nothing happens when I click on it and 3) I cannot get to task manager in the way I usually do which is by pressing ctrl/alt/delete. If you can solve this in a way yhat doesn't just involve me doing more research on the Internet then I will be more than happy to give a satisfactory rating

Pete :

Ok, first, can you try using a different keyboard - let me know if CTRL-ALT-DEL works ok on it?

JACUSTOMER-6mffcq7a- :

I have already said it works sometimes so pretty sure its not the keyboard. Also as I said the 3 problems happen at the same time but I can still do other things eg explorer or excel so it can't be that the whole keyboard isn't working.

Pete :

The keyboard may have an intermittent fault.

Pete :

As I explained, this can happen if some crumbs get underneath it.

Pete :

We need to rule out the keyboard before proceeding.

JACUSTOMER-6mffcq7a- :

Ok when I get home I will clean it but it would be a strange problem that has intermittent problems that only affect certain applications. Bear in mind that once I get to the shut down button the keyboard key I am pressing is enter which is being used all the time for the applications that work fine

JACUSTOMER-6mffcq7a- :

I can't try your suggestion with keyboard until I get problem again (which I have said was frequent but not all the time). I have mentioned to you a number of times that Google chrome seems to be affected and yesterday I managed to uninstall it and reinstall. Since then I haven't had any problems though I know that may be a coincidence. I am likely to use the laptop quite a bit in next few days so will let you know how I get on.

Pete :

IF you can confirm that there are certain applications that are NEVER affected by the problem then that would rule out an issue with the keyboard.

Pete :

Let me know how you get on over the next few days.