KamilAnwar1
KamilAnwar1, Office Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

Hello, it would seem I am not the only one having this problem.I

Customer Question

Hello, it would seem I am not the only one having this problem.I can't get into my email account either because I am getting a message "from Microsoft Account" saying "Call us overprotective...." and they provide a code made up of 5 digits to another e-mail address. When I enter this code it asks for a 7 digit number. Its driving me mad and you can't even contact Microsoft. Please tell me what to do to access my e-mail account.
Many Thanks
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  KamilAnwar1 replied 2 years ago.

KamilAnwar1 :

Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer.

KamilAnwar1 :

May i remotely connect to your computer to take a look at the issue to help you directly?

JACUSTOMER-b5mpeq5m- :

No, I don't think so. With the greatest respect, my banking details have been hacked into twice recently.

KamilAnwar1 :

That's when you respond to emails asking you to verify bank details, but anyway that is not our issue.

KamilAnwar1 :

Can you tell me what exactly are you seeing at the hotmail screen now?

JACUSTOMER-b5mpeq5m- :

No its not, especially as I would NEVER respond to banking requests via e-mail.

JACUSTOMER-b5mpeq5m- :

I noticed another request exactly the same as mine, would the reply not be the same??

KamilAnwar1 :

You can try the advise there, but i am not sure which one you're looking at since we have supported millions of customers.

KamilAnwar1 :

JACUSTOMER-b5mpeq5m- :

I can no longer access access e-mails so I tried changing my password & the result is the same. Microsoft are asking for a code number. They sent a 5 digit number to my daughter but Microsoft then ask you to enter your 7 digit code number.

KamilAnwar1 :

Can you re-do the process and when it asks you for a 7 digit code number, copy/paste the exact message here OR send me a screen shot

JACUSTOMER-b5mpeq5m- :
Enter your security code
Enter the code we sent to [email protected]
Please enter the 7-digit code. The code only contains numbers.
KamilAnwar1 :

how many digits is the code sent to the email?

JACUSTOMER-b5mpeq5m- :

The code they send is only 5 digits.

KamilAnwar1 :

Select use a different verification option

KamilAnwar1 :

Then tell me what options does it has?

JACUSTOMER-b5mpeq5m- :
We need to verify your identity

How would you like to get your security code?

Email [email protected]
To verify that this is your email address, enter it below and click "Next" to receive your code.
*****@******.***
KamilAnwar1 :

select i don't use these anymore

KamilAnwar1 :

then tell me what options youget

JACUSTOMER-b5mpeq5m- :
Recover your Microsoft account
What Microsoft account are you trying to get back into?
Email address

Note: If you've turned on two-step verification, you can't recover your account this way.

Where should we contact you?

Enter an email address that's different from the one you're trying to recover.

Contact email address
Enter the Microsoft account you're trying to get back into. (This is the email address you use to sign in to Outlook.com, Xbox Live, and other Microsoft services.)
JACUSTOMER-b5mpeq5m- :

On two occasions they have sent the same 5 digit code number to another mailing address.

KamilAnwar1 :

When was the last time they sent the code?

JACUSTOMER-b5mpeq5m- :

Today

KamilAnwar1 :

And did you immediately inputted the same code?

KamilAnwar1 :

Are you sure you are checking the latest emails with the code because they never send same code twice

JACUSTOMER-b5mpeq5m- :

Yep, and the same thing starts all over again. Are you able to access the reply to the earlier query I read from someone else with the same problem?

JACUSTOMER-b5mpeq5m- :

They sent the same code yesterday & today but its still not 7 digits.

KamilAnwar1 :

Can you request a new code again and check the email for the latest email (make sure the date and time is for now on the email)

KamilAnwar1 :

And tell me if it is 7 digits, or 5 digits

JACUSTOMER-b5mpeq5m- :

I can't. As I said they send the code to someone else's e-mail address and that someone else is currently on shift in a hospital.

JACUSTOMER-b5mpeq5m- :

If you are unable to fix it, thats fine.

KamilAnwar1 :

Okay, then i would suggest going this route. It may recover the account immediately or it will let Microsoft manually release the account by sending you a link to the alternate email address. Can you fill the information they are asking and provide them the alternate email address where they can contact you. Then tell me what happens

KamilAnwar1 :

The alternate email address should be the one you currently have access to directly.

JACUSTOMER-b5mpeq5m- :

No, I will go through the previous questions I read from others with the same queries and see if I am able to find a reply that way. Thanks.

KamilAnwar1 :

Okay. No worries - If you want to go that way, then i suggest you wait until the person who has access to the alternate email is back and then request a new code and look at the date/timestamp for when it was sent and re-try. The code expires in a short time, so only attempt when you have access to the email or the person is free to give you the code immediately.

KamilAnwar1 :

If you try too many times, you may be locked out of the account.

KamilAnwar1 :

Then, you will need to go with the method i suggested above to let microsoft manually release the account.