JamesI
JamesI, Other
Experience:  James has experience providing 3rd lines support for a range of office apps, from 2000 to 2013, including project and visio.
75967336

We have Malware bytes installed on our computeralso we

We have Malware bytes installed on our computer also we have Techware Life time Security and Unlimited tech support. plus anti hacking support. Tech support tell us that you at Microsoft have reported us to them as our identities have been stolen and that hackers are using our identities to ask for financial assistance and other matters. I was contacted recently by someone who purported to be a representative of Tech Support, I refused to communicate with this person until he quoted my personal Tech Support reference, which he happily quoted and I verified that the No.s given were correct. I was told by him that you had logged a complaint that our identity was being used and that my keystrokes were being read by the hackers. I needed to pay a sum of £601 approx. in order to have the threat removed. I paid this sum in order to resolve the situation. (We have learned from Tech Support that this information was removed by an ex employee who stole our identities and our references and used them to obtain this money from us they also said that legal action against him had been sought). My husband was contacted last Friday by Tech Support advising that Microsoft had been in touch again to advise that our identities were being used for wrongdoing and that we had facilitated this to allow an upgrade that had appeared on the screen [Java] by . which they advised were trojans and that in unwittingly agreeing to updates they had taken over our identities. Tech Support now say our computer will probably crash shortly as the hackers have amended the security protection, that our financial details can be used and even if we don't use our computer our identities can and will be used to bad purpose. We are at our wits end to know what to do and ask for you advice please.

PS despite telling me that the money I have paid to THE Tech Support in excess of £900  advise that they require a further £600 to remove all breaches and to secure Financial cover, having previously informing me that I was covered for lifetime support

Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Viet -MS Office Tech replied 2 years ago.

Hello! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. Unfortunately, you have been scammed since the beginning. Resolving any computer issue should not cost that much. No support company or Microsoft would ever call you for any computer support (you would call them first if you need computer support.) This is a scam in order to get your money; the are pretending to be from Microsoft company. And Microsoft does not communicate with other companies about computer support. Microsoft has written an article about phone scams at the website below:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspx

As long as you have an antivirus program and Malwarebytes program working, then you are fine. Also, I recommend you to change your important passwords, such as email account, facebook account, online bank account, if you use, etc. Also, you should call your bank/credit card company to cancel any enormous charge.

Please let me know if you have any further question. Thank you,

Expert:  JamesI replied 2 years ago.

Further to my colleague Viet's response, I would urge you to contact your credit card companies to get a stop put on the funds, as you should be able to get the full £900 back.

In terms of addressing the current situation you are now in, I would suggest you uninstall any software your "Tech Support" team installed on your behalf or requested you to install, and then purchase a well known Internet security package such as McAfee, this will scan your machine and remove any software which may cause you an issue in the future.

Should you wish to discuss the matter further please reply back with any other questions you have regarding this matter.

JamesI, Other
Experience: James has experience providing 3rd lines support for a range of office apps, from 2000 to 2013, including project and visio.

System restore would reverse any program installation on your computer.

Please click on the Reply to Expert tab below, and reply back to me, so I can help further if there is still any issue. Thank you,