JamesI
JamesI, Other
Experience:  James has experience providing 3rd lines support for a range of office apps, from 2000 to 2013, including project and visio.
75967336

I wish to synchronise calendars and contacts between Outlook

I wish to synchronise calendars and contacts between Outlook on our 2 standalone home computers (all use Windows 7) and a laptop (i.e. 3 in all) plus synchronise same with a Samsung mobile phone. Have been looking at CodeTwo Public Folders and Sync2 in particular as possible solutions. Have trouble in deciding on their relative merits - also open to other solutions Pat XXX email: *****@******.***

Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 years ago.
JamesInch :

Hi Pat,
Does your samsung phone run Android OS, ie do you use google play to access applications?

JACUSTOMER-4llmsex4- :

Runs Android OS

JamesInch :

There is a protocol called IMAP, which is designed at doing exactly what you are looking to do. Its best accessed via a e-mail provider, many use Google, as that also allows you to access the contacts and calandars via a webpage.
To do this you would first setup a Gmail account, you would then setup you phone to use IMAP to only sync calandar and contacts, then in outlook you would setup a new mailbox using IMAP and can turn off the e-mail feature.

JamesInch :

You then need to set the GMAIL calandar as your default calandar on both your phone and outlook

JamesInch :

I need to head off, but have a think and then come back with some of the questions you have and ill see if I can explain the pro's and con's tomorrow

JACUSTOMER-4llmsex4- :

OK

JACUSTOMER-4llmsex4- :

Answer very incomplete. Says nothing about most important part of my question re wishing to synchronise calendars and contacts between Outlook on our 2 standalone home computers (all use Windows 7) and a laptop (i.e. 3 in all) and the relative merits of CodeTwo Public Folders and Sync2 in meeting that need or suggesting alternative. This is about family computers where we share calendar and contacts info fully with each other. Pat

JamesInch :

Hi Pat, sorry I should have explained in more detaill by setting up a mailbox in outlook using IMAP this will sync calandar and contacts between your two PC's and your phone.

JamesInch :

The other two products are very poor, but give me a short while and I will provide a comparison for you

JamesInch :

Code Two:

Pros:

30 day money back gurantee

Do not require to be online to make changes

Allows you to share files and folders in addition to contacts and calandars

Cons:

Service you have to pay for

Tech support free for 3 months only

Not using MS standard protocols

You pay per device (ie 4 licences)

Sync 2:

Pros:

14 day free trial

Cons:

Service you have to pay for

Only works with Google and Hotmail

You pay per device (ie 4 licences)

The method used for sync is very poor uses PST files.

No app for the android so you have limited functionality on the phone

JamesInch :

So in essence Sync 2 is rather poor compared to CodeTwo, but both seem to be charging per device, and in the first instance would be looking to use the native IMAP functionality of Google. But if your looking for a paid for service then it is advisable to go with Code Two, since this offers a money back gurantee, support for the first few months to get it all working plus gives you the option to share files between devices too.

JamesInch :

I hope you find this answers your question, if you need anything clarified please get in touch, I would appreciate if you can rate the service you have recieved today.

JACUSTOMER-4llmsex4- :

Thanks for clarification and pros and cons info. I'd been using Google Calendar to share my Calendar info but had dropped it when they discontinued support for Google Calendar Sync. May need to go back to it and take your suggested IMAP route. Can you reference an idiot's step by step guide on doing that? Was even wondering about merits of Windows Office 365 but again subject to continuous fees.

JamesInch :

Office 365 probably wouldnt do what your want, or at least not any better than using GMAIL. Give me a minute and ill find a guide for setting up IMAP

JACUSTOMER-4llmsex4- :

Thanks. Aas soon as I hear back from you will sign off with positive rating. Pat

JamesInch :

Hi Pat,

This explains about setting up your phone:
https://support.google.com/calendar/answer/151674

JamesInch :

In terms of getting outlook to work, the best option is to use the Google App Sync.
https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gappssync

However on reading into it you need a business account for it to work, I have always done this for business hence didnt realise the cost associated, this appers to be a cost of around $5 a month.

JACUSTOMER-4llmsex4- :

Thanks for your help. That completes my query. Best wishes, Pat

JamesI, Other
Experience: James has experience providing 3rd lines support for a range of office apps, from 2000 to 2013, including project and visio.