Bryan
Bryan, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Have been using MS Office since
59162784

I receive an Excel file every month from which I could extract

Customer Question

I receive an Excel file every month from which I could extract two columns First Column has a 10 digit code for each customer (about 1000 of them) and the second column has a sum of money which varies each month.
The first column also varies every month as some customers die and others arrive. I wish to have a file showing all customers (past and present) so that I can see every month and the total money for each customer all on one spreadsheet
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 2 years ago.
The-PC-Guy :

My Name is***** will be helping you today. If I provide good service, you may ask for The-PC-Guy in your question title for your future needs.

The-PC-Guy :

so basically you are looking to create a summary sheet of all of these different months?

The-PC-Guy :

are they all in the same workbook?

JACUSTOMER-sekvr5m1- :

I am still waiting for the answer.

The-PC-Guy :

you never answered the questions. Can't help until you tell me more about what you want.

The-PC-Guy :

8/17/14 3:16 PM

are they all in the same workbook?

JACUSTOMER-sekvr5m1- :

I do not think so

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.
Can you send me a copy (or a mockup copy with fake data) of the Excel file you are working with? You can upload it to wikisend.com and provide me with the file id number so I can take a look and I can figure out exactly what you want.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

cust no J F M TOT

1 2.54 3.62 5.12 11.26

2 1.00 2.00 3.00

3 3.10 1.20 7.06 11.36

4 0.45 4.00 1.22 5.67

5 6.10 2.34 8.44

6 2.34 1.20 2.20 5.74

here is the example. in april I will get an excel file that will have the customer numbers with the amount they spent.This should go between Mand TOT column and adjust TOT(al)

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
So, J, F, and M stand for January, February and March. ColA will always be "Cust No", ColB will always be "J", etc... leading up to ColM which will be "D". And the last Column in each month will always be the "TOT".
Is there any problem with prefilling the Column titles with those values but keep them hidden until your adding the next set of numbers? So that ColN will always be "TOT" but as it shows in your example, Cols E-M would be hidden until April.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I can see no problem

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Let's say for example you get the April numbers, will that already have the Jan, Feb and Mar numbers on it or will it just be 2 columns that have Cust No and TOT for that month?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It will just be the customer numbers with their april money

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Final questions, I think. Do new customer numbers just get added to the end of this new Totals sheet? Which version of Excel?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No the customer numbers arrive sorted, with lowest at top and Highest at bottom

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I understand that. But are there ever customer numbers added or deleted throughout the year? And, which version of Excel?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes. Some die and some new ones arrive sometimes

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

ignore

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
This seems like it's going to be a much larger job than I had originally anticipated. I can submit an additional services request for you and upon acceptance I will get started on it for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I would like a refund please

Thanx

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
No problem. I will submit you for a refund. Sorry we couldn't get it done for you.