Viet -MS Office Tech
Viet -MS Office Tech, Other
Experience:  Ten years of computer hardware and software support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac; Microsoft Office, etc.
30037186

MS PUBLISHER - convert to PDF I have 2003 version on my laptop

Customer Question

MS PUBLISHER - convert to PDF
I have 2003 version on my laptop with XPO and the 2010 version on my PC with win8.
I am trying to (export) convert a 'publisher file' to pdf,
the 2010 software says it can do it,
it has the option on the pull-down menu,
but fails to complete it,
leaving a simple message that it can't do it.
The file does have 84 pages but that should be a problem, should it?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Viet -MS Office Tech replied 2 years ago.

Hello Richard! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. Are you still able to convert another publisher file?

Can we do a remote support session, so we can chat, and I will be able to help you directly?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Q1

I don't know what you mean by 'connect another publisher file' and I can't see the relevance. I am worried about this one file that just will not convert. We have managed to convert a smaller file produced at the same time for the 4p covers section that wraps around the 84p pages section. But we cannot print the document without the inside!

Q2

This is best communication we can have today, I think, unless you can telephone me? I am using my iMac to communicate with you with this message. I have my PC next to me (that has the MS publisher files on it) but for other reasons it is not connected to the internet at this time.

Sorry, I meant, 'convert another publisher file.'

We have live online support. Since the PC is not connected to the internet, then I cannot connect to it in order to fix, but let me provide written instructions you can try.

Can you go to Start -> Control Panel -> Printers, then right-click on another printer and set it as default
, then see if you can convert that publisher file.

Also, do you have a USB drive?

Please let me know. Thank you,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have only two printers here HP1505 and Epson Sx - I will try it

yes I have USB drives

OK, please try and let me know. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Damn it George!

Changing the printer seems to have worked.

I seem to have a PDF version now. Thank you.

Buty, I would really like to know WHY - so can you tell me?

You're welcome. Great. Some printer models are not fully compatible with Publisher, so it conflicts when it's set as default while converting / printing to PDF.

If you need anything else later, please let me know any time. Also, can you please take a moment to rate my service by clicking on a face icon / service option below, then click on Submit when it shows up. Thank you very much for your patience.

Edit: We've been communicating, but it looks like you are not there. Do you still need help? Please reply back whenever you are available. Thank you,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The conversation page on my iMac froze and then sort of crashed - that is why I could not continue the conversation

There is still a problem...

In the PDF version the text and pictures had 'slipped' on almost every page AND a few pictures had 'dropped out' altogether!

This might be related to moving the document over from v2003 to v2010 (which is what I have done during the process of producing this document).

Please advise...

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still waiting your reply to my latest question

I'm sorry, your iMac froze, and my shift was over when you replied back. I will always reply back to you as soon as possible when I'm back at my computer.

So, basically, only this particular publisher file has issue converting to PDF right?

Let's try another way: On the iMac, please download and save (but don't open it) the free software PrimoPDF at the website below:

http://wikisend.com/download/584646/

(If the above website does not work, then try at http://download.cnet.com/PrimoPDF/3000-10743_4-10264577.html?part=dl-10264577&subj=dl&tag=button)

, then transfer the PrimoPDF software file to the PC computer via a USB drive
, then install the PrimoPDF software on the PC (if prompted, do not upgrade or buy anything)
, then open your publisher file, then select the Print option
, then when the print dialog / window appear, select the printer name called PrimoPDF
, then it will let you save to a PDF file, then check.

Please let me know. Thank you,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will try this later today. Thank you.
I will let you know what happens.
You're welcome. OK, please take your time. My shift would be over in a couple of hours, but just reply back to me any time; I'll respond back to you as soon as I'm back at the computer. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have tried your suggestion with primoPDF.

It promises to be the right solution for me, as it appears to be designed to download the app (the software) onto my PC hard drive which would make it available (and easily accessible) for the future.

Q1 Is that assumption correct?

But the problem is that it when I install it on the PC, it will not do so completely without that PC having access to the Internet, at the end of the installation it needs to make some link through the browser to really complete installation. So it doesn't open up and it can't be found within the active programmes. So its effectively just 'not there' to use.

Q2 Do you have a suggestion to get around this? or is there another one that can be installed with the restrictions I have?

I have tried two other ways around this problem... in vain:

Q3 When I use the 'save-as' option from the (publisher2010) file menu, the resulting PDF loses significant layout features: many of the pictures have moved pushing the text all over the place... why is that?

Q4 When I use the 'print-as' option from the (publisher2010) file menu, the resulting PDF loses the same layout features: many of the pictures have moved pushing the text all over the place AND the chapter headlines (which are set in small-caps) have all come out 'in code' - another failure... why is that?

Q5 I have not tried primoPDF with my publisher2003 (which is on my laptop) because that too, is not connected to the Internet.

Sorry, I'm not sure, since only this publisher file has issue, then something is corrupted in that file.

It should not need internet connection for installing the PrimoPDF program. I just tried to install PrimoPDF without an internet connection and it installed fine. Don't register and don't worry about the link at the end of installation.

Go to Start, Control Panel, Printers..., then do you see a printer name called PrimoPDF there?

If yes, can you open the publisher file, then click on File menu, then Print (just like when you want to print it), then select the printer name called PrimoPDF, then create pdf there, and save. Does that work well?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will try that, again. Thanks. I will let you know what happens.
You're welcome. OK, thank you.