michelleclive
michelleclive, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Indept expertise on MS Office package
26798893

Microsoft Office on Mac keeps downloading the same messages

Customer Question

Microsoft Office on Mac keeps downloading the same messages from the server every hour or two. How do I stop this?
John
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  michelleclive replied 2 years ago.
michelleclive :

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.

michelleclive :

What is the error message you are getting.

Customer:

no error message. Just suddenly starts downloading all the messages again and again!

michelleclive :

you mean Microsoft office outlook starts downloading messages automatically after every hour

Customer:

Yes, although not sure if every hour. Very frequently though. As there are about 1000 messages still on the server this is unmanageable!

michelleclive :

what is the version of office outlook

Customer:

mac version

michelleclive :

open office outlook

Customer:

done

michelleclive :

click on send/receive and then select send/receive settiing.

Customer:

Options are "send all", "send and receive all" and the two accounts I am using.

michelleclive :

click on the down arrow which is next to the send/receive button there will be an option at the bottom of the drop down menu as send receive settings and then select Disable sheduled send and receive

Customer:

There is no such option "send receive settings" on my drop down menu

michelleclive :

let me check the version on mac give me a moment

Customer:

ok

michelleclive :

1. On the Tools tab, click Schedules, and then click Edit Schedules.

michelleclive :

click on turn off schedule

michelleclive :

then check if send receive happens automatically

Customer:

Under Edit Schedules I have three items - send and receive all, send all and empty deleted items. Each has a check box. They are all checked but only Send and receive all has entries under last run and next run. Last run is 13.38 and next run is 13.48. I don't have a "turn off schedule" option.

Customer:

Surely when it runs it should only download new messages though not all messages?

michelleclive :

click on send recieve and then check if you get an option to turn off

Customer:

I do get an option under "When" which is Remove Occurrence , and under "Action" which is remove action.

michelleclive :

you can select remove action.

Customer:

But then it will never download my messages?

michelleclive :

can i remote access and check the settings as i will be able to see your screen.

Customer:

Yes if you tell me how to do that!

michelleclive :

sure

michelleclive :

download and install teamviewer and let me know the 9 digit code and 4 digit password ***** connect.

Customer:

741 625 607

Customer:

4193

michelleclive :

give me a moment to connect

michelleclive :

i am connected now

michelleclive :

let me take the mouse control.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

What do I need to do?

michelleclive :

please check now it will not download any more the of all your old emails

michelleclive :

please check and confirm

michelleclive :

scheduled send and receive settings are not there so it will download message automatically but it will not download your old messages

michelleclive :

anymore

Customer:

I have tried clicking send/receive and it does not download old messages which is good

Customer:

Are you sure it will still check for my new messages though?

Customer:

If it happens again what do I do?

michelleclive :

it will not download old messages but your scheduled send receive is the default function.

michelleclive :

leave a copy on the server should not be checked on

michelleclive :

if its checked then it will download old messages.

Customer:

So you have set delete messages from server? I knew I could do that. But I did not want to do it because I need to access my messages from other devices as well. Presumably I will not be able to now?

michelleclive :

no i have not set delete message

Customer:

Like my iPad and iphone

michelleclive :

let me tell you how it works

michelleclive :

when you get an email from anyone there is one copy always on the server and that is not deleted for some particular days or weeks even if you delete it from your inbox.

michelleclive :

for an example you configured outlook or any email software with your existing email then it download the entire old emails from the server.

michelleclive :

if you uncheck leave a copy to the server will not download old messages always when you send/receive emails

michelleclive :

i hope i am able to make understand how it works,

michelleclive :

let me know if you have any question.

Customer:

If an email has already downloaded to my desktop through Outlook, then will I be able to later download the same email to my iPad or iPhone? Surely not because it will now be deleted from the server?

michelleclive :

yes you will get it on other devices as well it will not be deleted whether you have already viewed the message on your computer when ever you login to the email on any other device like mobile phone, i-phone, i-pad or any mobile device the message will be in the devices inbox

Customer:

OK I hope so!

michelleclive :

is there anything else i may assist you with.

Customer:

Anyway I thought I always had that box checked before and it did not happen.

Customer:

I must be wrong!

Customer:

No thank you that is fine.

michelleclive :

if the box is checked you will start getting the old emails back again.

michelleclive :

if you want you can check.

Customer:

Don't worry i won't!

Customer:

So long as I can still get my email on my iPad and iPhone that is fine

Customer:

michelleclive :

I hope I've provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, effort and the Information you got, then you may provide a rating by clicking on the smiley below and if you have any more question feel free to ask.

Customer:

Customer:

Goodbye!

michelleclive :

Thanks for using our service have a good day.

Experience: Indept expertise on MS Office package
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry Michelle can i just check that you no longer have remote access?

John

i am already disconnected and i am no longer connected.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK thanks Michelle. Have a nice evening.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My EE account on Outlook has the option to retain on server ticked and that does not download the same messages more than once. So why does tho happen with my BT account.

Also as I expected I cannot now pick up messages on my iPhone after they have been downloaded to my desktop.So the problem is not solved I'm afraid.

John

what is the EE account please tell me i can have a look at the settings and then let you know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

*****@******.***

Sorry for the delay i see that we have a different timing for both of us. Please let me know your timing for your availability so that i can be online at the same time.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What time zone are you in?

let me know what times you will be online today and tomorrow and i will try to fix the issues
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am offline most of the time but can come online when you are free if you give me some times.

we can try this tomorrow as my internet service is down that is the reason i was not able to reply. i will reply back as soon as my connection is up in running.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK. I have noticed that the "Leave a copy of messages on server" for my BT account is checked again, although I did not change this back. However it is working fine and is not downloading old messages any more.

lets hope for the best and do let me know if you find any problem.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK will do. Thank you.

Thanks and have a good day.