James K.
James K., Consultant
Experience:  Technical Director of IT Company
20304743

I may have been scammed. I am not very IT literate and should

Customer Question

I may have been scammed. I am not very IT literate and should have realised.
I was phoned by a ***** ***** who said he was a head of Microsoft Defender and he had information my PC had been interfered with. He spent a long time apparently verifying whom he was and I accepted it.
In the 45 mins he extracted a great deal of information from me and also took money from me for next year's secrity , saying my free year was up.
He left me with several ID and security figures and with an email address for the help desk.
The email is invalid.
I have no phone no.
Please can you tell me what to do as soon as possible.
Thankyou ,
Claire Salway
02392 588 611 ***********
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  James K. replied 3 years ago.

My name is James

Welcome to Just Answer

Really sorry to tell you that this is a very common scam

This person / company is absolutely not affiliated with microsoft in any way.

The way it works is that they know most people do not know much about computers so they connect and show them a bunch of things that they do not understand and tell them it is hackers or viruses.

Most common is they will show windows event viewer which looks like a screen with a bunch of red X's on it or yellow warnings, these are common on every windows computer but they will lie to you and say they are viruses or some major problem.

They sent you to a website called Join.me or similar which is just a remote desktop tool that allows them access to your computer.

You can read more here

http://www.microsoft.com/security/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspx

What I would suggest you do as soon as you can is call your bank or credit card company and open a fraud claim. Tell them that you were lead to believing that this person was from microsoft.

and claim any paid monies back

Now Please rate my Service with the smiley Faces and submit

come back any issues
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The bank say all I have to do is to cancel my card----which they have done. They say I do not need to change my Banking ID as the hackers cant get it.

I am concerned about all my passwords some of which are logged into the computer. What about my Sky ID-----which accesses my email account?

Expert:  James K. replied 3 years ago.
Its best practice to change your password

Choose a strong Password

Like Bofh0071

Upper-case - Lower-case and numbers

Cheers James
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have changed email /skyID password.

Presume my numerous catalogue and commercial passwords dont matter because they cant do any transactions minus my card.

What about important passwords like Kidney Patient View/local Gp surgery for repeat prescriptions etc?

Expert:  James K. replied 3 years ago.
They are from abroad They have no intrest in that

Once y9ou have paid thats all they want

get a case in with your bank and get any moines paid back

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thankyou so much for all the time you have spent reassuring me ! I imagined I would have to change every password I have ever written !

I think that what you are saying is that it is only the money side they are interested in.

Thankyou once more

Claire Salway

Expert:  James K. replied 3 years ago.
Anytime

cheers James