Chris L.
Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

Hi I am having an issue with my emails. I use Microsoft

I am having an issue with my emails. I use Microsoft outlook.Basically when I send messages to certain email addresses, the receiver cannot read them as the message is scrambled up. The weird thing is that I can read their emails perfectly. The other thing is that they provide me with links to other sites which I have to subscribe to get their details. Why is it that they cannot read my emails but I can read theirs?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** certified computer professional with over 10 years experience. I will be happy to help you.

In order to best assist you I will need some further information.

When you say scrambled up what exactly do you mean? Do you mean that the formatting of the email is messed up or do you mean the actual text of the email is unreadable?

Have you noticed any type of pattern to this, you said it only happens when you send to certain email addresses, is there anything similar about these email addresses? What I mean is are they all at gmail.com for example or do they have something in common with each other?

Please let me know so I can further assist.
Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is the actual text which is messed up so the receiver cannot read it, and I have a gmail account and a Hotmail account, and I can send messages from one to another with no problems and can read the emails. However, the most recet email address I tried to send it to was discreetmail.org and the receiver got my message, the actual text all scrambled and messed up

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the information. Are you or are the people you messaged at discreet mail using encryption?

When an encrypted message is sent and the other user does not have the public key it will display as you are describing.

Also just to confirm are only users at discreetmail.org telling you about this problem?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When I get emails back from them there is scrambled text, which must be the original email from me. I cannot remember fully the other emails, I think one was yourmail.org and another was citymail.org, so they were different.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Ok it really sounds like one of you is using encryption which basically means that it is scrambled on the other end if the person does not have the public key.

I really don't think the issue is on your end as all your other mail is working fine. I have a couple of ideas for you to test out to help us pinpoint where the problem lies.

First can you send a message from gmail to them? When you send the message do not send it from outlook. Log into your account at gmail.com and send from there.

You could also try sending to them from any email account, just make sure you are not using outlook, I would like to cut that out of the picture just to make sure it is not an issue with your outlook.

Let me know if you are able to test that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I actually did try from gmail last night and nothing happened. They actually replied to my Hotmail (outlook) account while my gmail account got no reply.

Just out of curiousity, is there a chance this could be a scam at all. This is jut something that crossed my mind.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
A chance that what could be a scam your emails with these people? What is the nature of your business with them?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It was a dating site that I met them on, and they immediately wanted me to contact them through the email address they provided me with and not through the site messenger.

Apart from that is there anything else I could do?

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
That is a gigantic red flag!

Anytime you meet someone online and they ask you to contact them off the site they are setting you up. Also you should not they are using an anonymous email service. That service they were using is completely anonymous and you could never find out who they are.

Tell me, did you give them any money or personal information? How far did this coversation go?

Also if you don't mind can you tell me which website this happened on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The website was XMeeting and the only time money was ever exchanged was in joining the sites that they sent me the link to, so it sounds like that could be another way to scam money off people, am I right in saying that.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks very much for your advice. You were a great help. Just one thing. If its not a scam, which it could be, but if it isn't what else could I do?

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to tell you that this is absolutely without question a scam.

Now I am not sure if the site itself is 100% a scam all though I do find a number of complaints out there claiming that it is. What I mean by the site being a scam is that the profiles of women are fake. In regards ***** ***** site I would suggest you pay them no more money.

They will automatically bill you monthly so make sure you turn off reccuring billing by doing the following:
On xmeeting click edit profile' choose'settings' tab. From there untick the 'recurring' checkbox.

Now as for being asked to contact someone off the site you were definitely being set up for be robbed.

Usually what will happen is an attractive girl will message you and ask you to contact them via email. They then will often ask you to chat on skype. They will try and get you to take your clothes off all the while they record it. They then will post your video online and threaten to send it to your family or friends unless you pay them money. It is a pretty common scam and many people get caught in it.

That may not be the exact scam they were setting you up for but they were absolutely getting ready to set you up which is why they were using an anonymous email.

The good thing for you is that you did have this issue and spoke to me.

As for your email, it is fine I am sure. The issue was likely on their end if there was any real issue at all, we cannot trust what they say.

Here is an article issued by the FBI in regards ***** ***** type of scam:
http://www.fbi.gov/sandiego/press-releases/2014/looking-for-love-beware-of-online-dating-scams

So what you should do is not continue to use that site and do not reply to emails from anyone you met on that site. In the future before you join any dating websites just do a quick google search for "is whateverwebsite a scam" , there are usually reviews out for these type of sites and you can find out beforehand and save yourself some time and frustration not to mention money.

If you have a moment please rate my service by clicking on one of the faces below, positive ratings are appreciated. You can always return to this page to talk with me any time.

Chris
Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience: Certified Expert with over 10 years experience.