Chris L.
Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

Every time I turn on my PC I get an error message system battery

Every time I turn on my PC I get an error message 'system battery voltage low. Press F1'
What does this mean? It's not a laptop?
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.
What is the make and model of computer and how old is it?
Also do you have any experience in computer hardware repair?
Please let me know so I can further assist.
Thanks,
Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dell optiplex 745.

I bought it reconditioned last year.

No I just want to use this for internet every day.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.

The message you are receiving is saying that the battery on the motherboard which is used to store hardware configuration data is running low.

All computers have a battery like this. It is fairly cheap to replace however it is difficult to replace on your own

Do you know if you have any kind of warranty with the computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No. Sorry but thanks for explaining. Can I just clean it all up - i.e. histories programs etc or is it a hardware problem?

Does this compromise my PC working or shall I just keep pressing F1?

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
This is a hardware problem. Most likely it is the battery. Just so you are aware it could also be a motherboard fault and not the battery. Also I should mention there is a chance you can continue to just hit F1 and deal with the message but no further issues will come of this.

Here is the type of battery that it will take:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Duracell-Battery-Lithium-Calculator-75072668/dp/B00FZNC1P4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410358156&sr=8-1&keywords=Duracell+DL2032+3.0-Volt+Lithium+Battery

Here is a video which shows you how to replace it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgbPT_plXC8

If you have no experience working inside a computer then I strongly advise you have a certified technician do it for you, making a mistake with this process could cause damage to the computer and you could hurt yourself.

Honestly though your best bet may just be to keep using the computer as you have been and take it for repair when and if something happens that prevents you from using it. This is not that big an issue that requires immediate repair or anything, just more of an annoyance.

If you would want it repaired I would suggest you take it to a repair shop but as I said you could probably just keep using it as you have been with no issue other than that error message. A problem like this is not going to cause you to lose data or anything like that.

Please take a moment to rate my service and if you need more information you may reply at any time.

Thanks,
Chris