James K.
James K., Consultant
Experience:  Technical Director of IT Company
20304743

Hello, today I had a phone call from(###) ###-####12861 telling

Hello, today I had a phone call from(###) ###-####12861
telling me that my computer was in grave danger and claiming to be from microsoft. I was given a toll free number 1-***-***-**** and email address *****@******.***. I allowed themaccess to my computer and for three hours they worked on it using Team Viewer, ID No 794 714 853. I paid £249 by credit card for 5 years protection. Is this okay? my daughter thinks its dubious?
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  James K. replied 3 years ago.

My name is James

Welcome to Just Answer

Really sorry to tell you that this is a very common scam

This person / company is absolutely not affiliated with microsoft in any way.

The way it works is that they know most people do not know much about computers so they connect and show them a bunch of things that they do not understand and tell them it is hackers or viruses.

Most common is they will show windows event viewer which looks like a screen with a bunch of red X's on it or yellow warnings, these are common on every windows computer but they will lie to you and say they are viruses or some major problem.

They sent you to a website called Join.me or similar which is just a remote desktop tool that allows them access to your computer.

You can read more here

http://www.microsoft.com/security/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspx

What I would suggest you do as soon as you can is call your bank or credit card company and open a fraud claim. Tell them that you were lead to believing that this person was from microsoft.

and claim any paid monies back

Now Please rate my Service with the smiley Faces and submit

come back any issues
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so very much. My concern is now that they might be able to get back into my computer.

Expert:  James K. replied 3 years ago.
With teamviewer they have to have the password

Everytime you close and open temaviewer it makes a new password

so close and open it , to be fair once they have been paid they move on to the next target

Cheers James

come back any issues