Chris L.
Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

Hi, microsoft office software will not open on my laptop. "The

Hi, microsoft office software will not open on my laptop. "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). This problem only recently happened after a few months of use.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Which version of office are you using and which version of windows?

Please let me know so I can help.

Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I am using windows 8, office 2013

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the information. This can happens sometimes and usually just a repair of the software is needed.

I will provide you instructions on how to run the repair below.

Press the Windows logo key + X to see a list of commands and options.

Click Programs and Features.

Click the Office program that is not opening, and then click either Quick Repair or Online Repair. Try quick repair first.

Follow the on screen instructions, you do not have to do much as the repair will basically run on it's own.

After the repair is finished try to open the software again.

Please take a moment please rate my service by clicking on one of the smiley faces below. You can always return to this page to talk with me any time if you need more help.

Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There is no option to repair the software, only to uninstall and change the software.

A pop up box came up to say that the software may already be uninstalled?

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, you need to click change and then you will see the option to repair.

Try that and let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When I click change the following message appears "An error occurred while trying to uninstall Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013 - en-us. It may have already been uninstalled.

Would you like to remove Micorsoft Office Home and Student 2013 - en-us from the Programs and Features list?

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Ok I am not sure what happened but it is missing some files. You didn't uninstall it or uninstall anything lately did you?

Are you aware of any changes that may have occured?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

not that I am aware of. Just looked to see if I have a cd or something but don't appear to. I got the computer from pc world ready set up.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Ok most newer versions of office don't come with a CD.

We may be able to fix it with a system restore. When was the last time you were able to open any office program?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

maybe 5 days ago. we have tried 3 separate times to get into MS office with the same issue each time

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Please read through all of the information below before trying anything.

Just so you know many computers come with office as a Trial version, usually 30, 60 or 90 days. You do need to buy office and it does not come free or anything.

When you bought it you would've received a license key, it may be a sticker on the computer or with your documentation. PC world would have given you that and the license key is essential, you cannot use office without it.

So before trying anything I list below you should confirm that you own office and have a the license key. I am not sure how PC world handles it so you may want to give them a call and see if they would have given that to you. Also if the computer is under warranty with them call them first before trying anything I list below.

What you can try is a system restore back to a time when it was working. System restore does not affect your personal documents but it does revert the system and program files back to an earlier time. So please understand that before trying this. It basically means if you installed a piece of software in the last couple of days it will be removed by using system restore, everything else will be the same.

Here are the instructions on using system restore and I cannot stress enough that if you choose the wrong option you can cause major damage so you must follow these precisely.

Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
(If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then click Search.)

Enter Control Panel in the search box, and tap or click Control Panel.

Enter Recovery in the Control Panel search box, and then tap or click Recovery.

Tap or click Open System Restore, and then follow the instructions. Choose a restore point that is before the issue with office happened.

Let it finish and try to open office again.

If that does not work it is going to need to be re-installed but you will absolutely need the license in order to re-install it.

If you do have the license key follow the instructions on this page to reinstall
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/download-back-up-restore-microsoft-office-products-FX103427465.aspx

Chris
Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience: Certified Expert with over 10 years experience.