Chris L.
Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

I sign in to my microsoft account and the process starts to

I sign in to my microsoft account and the process starts to open up my computor but does not finish the process denying me access to my computor what can I do?
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Are you receiving any type of error message such as your password ***** *****?

Which version of windows is on the computer?

Please let me know so I can further assist.
Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no error message, windows 8.1

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Ok so you enter the password, it then acts like it is going to log you on but never does it and it does not say anything on the screen?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It just says welcome on the log space with a row of spinning dots as though its waiting for conformation of access to open up computer properly

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Ok most likely it is hung up trying to install updates or something like that.

I know you said you have restarted it, have you completely powered it off yet? If not disconnect any USB devices that may be attached and power it off and then turn it on.

Also what is the make and model of computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have shut it down using the power button as it does not allow me to get to the normal shut down process, I have then unpluged the computer for approx 1 minute and then switched it on again am now back to the same stage with the welcome sign and spinning dots. Computer is a Lenovo IdeaCentre A730

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, when you turn the computer on does it go the log in screen where you can choose your account, if so do the following.

On the screen when you choose your user account you should see a power button on the bottom right. do you see this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

there is a power button clicking it reveals a box saying sleep, shut down and restart which does respond as I have used restartng the computer and it does work.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Ok great, Here is what you need to do. Please note this will be our first attempt at the fix, if it does not work there are more things we an try so let me know.

Hold down the SHIFT key and click the power button and choose restart, all while holding the shift key, do not let go of the shift key until you reach the recovery screen.

This should get you to a blue screen with some options, choose troubleshoot.

Next choose Advanced Options.

Select System Restore.

Choose a restore point to be before this issue started.

Let it go through it's restore process and once it reboots try logging in as normal.

If this does not work reply and let me know, if it does work please rate my service.

Thanks,
Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

just keeps restarting computer but no recovery options are appearing.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Ok are you sure you are holding shift the whole time. It needs to be help in before you click the power button and the whole time while clicking restart.

If that is not working let me know if you have important files saved on the computer that you do not have a back up of. We could use the computers factory reset but that will cause the computer to be set back to how it was when you first got it so you will lose data and programs.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry Chris not pressing correct button screen is now showing options

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Ok,then we may have to use the lenova recovery option. Do you have important files saved on the computer that you do not have a back up of.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have them backed up on a remote disk drive

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
The only thing I can suggest is using the lenova recovery but this will cause you to lose data and programs saved on the computer, essentially taking it back to how it was when you first bought it. This could remove all data and programs you saved and installed since you bought it.

If you want to avoid having to start from scratch with the computer it may be in your best interest to take it to a local repair shop have a professional save your data and fix the issue. It is up to you but I do not see any other options at this time. Keep in mind of course if I had physical access to the computer I would possibly be able to fix it without using the restore with the proper tools and boot discs but since we are going this online this is the only option I can provide for you to do on your own.

If you want to use the lenova recovery here is how you do it:

Repeatedly press and release the F2 key once turning on the computer until the Lenovo Rescue System opens, then select
OneKey Recovery.

Follow the on-screen instructions to select the backup task you want to restore from and the disk where you want to install the operating system, then press Next to start the restore.

Please wait during the process of system recovery. Do not interrupt the operation during the recovery process.

After the system is recovered successfully, the software will prompt you to restart the computer. Restart the computer and start the operating system

If you have a moment please rate my service by clicking on one of the faces below, positive ratings are appreciated. You can always return to this page to talk with me any time.

Thanks,
Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

am using system restore any idea how long it normally takes?

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Could take up 30 minutes and sometimes longer.

Be patient with with it. Hopefully that get's it going again.
-Chris